Chapter 1

Beep...Beep...Beep

Minka frowned, reaching her hand to shut off her alarm. She opened her eyes letting out a gentle sigh, staring at the ceiling above her. She ran her hand over the silk linen to the other side, only to find it empty, it was warm, but empty nonetheless. She rose off her back, sitting up. She got out of bed walking over to the couch, draping her white silk robe over her matching white silk nightie. She sometimes wondered why she bothered wearing these to bed if Hannibal wouldn't notice? of course he bought them for her, so it would be rude not to. Still why'd he buy them if he didn't show any interest if she'd wear them?

She made her way into the en-suite bathroom. It was humid inside,& the smell of Hannibal's rich, smooth, & expensive after shave filled it the heat intensifying it. After washing her face, & brushing her teeth she stepped out of the bathroom & into the large walk-in closet. She chose a nude, cream pencil dress, pairing it with a pair of black, pointed Christian Louboutin heels. She did her makeup to make herself look presentable, & then went downstairs for coffee, already finding Hannibal in the dining room. He using his tablet, probably reading some Psychiatry Journal.

"Good morning" She greeted as she walked in the room, the clacking of her heels caught Hannibal's attention, though he knew she was heading for the room before she spoke, smelling Chanel's Mademoiselle all the way from the staircase.

"Good morning" He replied, slowly lifting his eyes from his tablet to look at her as she sat opposite of him.

"You didn't eat yet?" She asked, seeing that his food was untouched, steam rising from it.

"I was waiting for you" He replied "it'd be rude to start without you my love"

"Of course" She smiled at him, taking a sip of her hot, freshly brewed coffee. They ate together, & once they were finished & put everything in the dishwasher. They made their way to their cars together. Minka kissed Hannibal quickly before he got into his Bentley, & she got into her Porsche cayenne, both of them driving off to work.

Minka Lecter, formerly known as Minka Kelly, was a Forensic Psychology professor in Georgetown. She met Hannibal at a seminar in DC where she was instantly swooned by his charm, intelligence, & chivalry. It was something a lot of men lacked nowadays. He was also fairly impressed with her elegance, grace, & feminine charm. Almost a year into their affair he proposed to her. Of course she said yes, it would be stupid of her to decline.

Hannibal's reasons for marriage were slightly different. He had a feeling that the FBI were suspicious, well not suspicious, but they will be with Will Graham on board, since he had that undeniable gift to catch any criminal. He didn't want any fingers pointed at him, since psychopaths are usually loners with no feelings. He married Minka, steering them further more from his direction.

He didn't hate Minka. She was smart, sophisticated & elegant, but he didn't love her. He showered her with gifts & lavishness to also steer her away from anything she might pick up on. It was working, because she was completely oblivious to what he truly was.

Minka Parked her car in the reserved parking for staff stepping out of it, carrying her Givenchy purse & laptop bag with her. She gave her first two hour lecture of the day, then headed to her office once it was over.

On her way she heard a string of curses, making her stop. She turned to see it was her colleague Chrissy, scrubbing at her skirt with a tissue while hissing.

"What happened to you?" She asked, making Chrissy look up at her.

"I was getting up from my desk, & I spilled hot coffee on my thigh" She groaned, gesturing towards the browned spot on her skirt.

"Are you burned?" Minka asked with concern.

"No" She sighed "Looks like a first degree burn, it'll probably cool off if i put some ice on it" she said as she examined the red spot above her knee.

"Anyway" She looked up at Minka as she sat down "How are you?" She asked.

Chrissy wasn't a professor, she is a psychology teacher with a Master's degree, but was working through the second year of her PhD program. She came new to the college, & made friends with Minka. They both shared a love for cooking. Also the older woman would give her some insight on her research papers.

"I'm fine" Minka smiled, sitting down in one of the chairs in front of the desk, straightening her dress.

"Problems with Hannibal?" She asked, after cleaning coffee off her desk & discarding the damp tissues in the bin next to it. Minka diverted her eyes to the window, avoiding her question.

"I'm telling you" She said, but stopped when she looked up to see Alana Bloom passing by, making Minka turn to see where she was looking. Chrissy eyed her till she was out of sight, then turned her attention back to Minka,

"He's sleeping with that slut, Alana" She continued, making Minka roll her eyes. She sounded like a highschool girl, not a 29 year old woman with a master's degree.

"No" Minka frowned "He isn't" she mumbled, crossing both arms.

"How do you know?" Chrissy raise a brow.

"Because I just do, he's not like that Chrissy" Minka narrowed her eyes

"Word on the street is he had an affair with Bloom when he taught her in John's Hopkins,& they're pretty close. Of course you know that, since you are Mrs. Lecter"

"Are you honestly going to believe an absurd rumor?" Minka incredulously looked at her friend for sounding so juvenile, though she had a feeling something fishy was going on.

"The question is, how do you know it is a rumor?" She pointed out "Even if there is a level of uncertainty to it, how can you let her muscle in on your man like that? I mean if another woman did that to my John, I'd kill her"

"I don't know" She sighed "Can we just not talk about this in the morning" she shook her head "Please?" She looked at Chrissy, brown eyes pleading her to stop.

"Alright, I won't say anything more" Chrissy said, putting her hands up in defense.

After Minka's day was over, she drove back to her home. She sighed once she walked in finding it empty, knowing Hannibal would probably be home late due to a full schedule of patients. She headed over to the kitchen, & began making dinner. She hoped that the cooking would take her mind off things, but for some reason her mind still kept wandering to what Chrissy told her. She always knew Alana Bloom was good friends with her husband,& that Hannibal was a good man, but what if...?? She shook her head, it can't be. Hannibal isn't like that.

"Ouch" She hissed, realizing she sliced her finger with the knife. Droplets of blood fell onto the chopping board, just in time for Hannibal to walk into the kitchen. She heard his footsteps approach her, & suddenly he's next to her taking her wounded hand gently in his.

"What happened?" He asked, examining her finger.

"I was slicing the vegetables, & then.." she sighed.

"You must be careful, you could have cut off your finger" He said coolly, although fighting the urge to lick the blood off her finger "Luckily, it isn't a deep cut, come now"

He guided her to the sink, running the tap over the injury. He then took the first aid kit out from under the sink disinfecting the bleeding wound, & placing gauze over it.

"You must have a lot on your mind" He said after securing the gauze tightly over the cut.

"I guess" She sighed, not saying much. He lifted her chin & smiled at her, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Go set the table, I'll take it from here"

"Sure?" She asked.

"Yes" He nodded,

"Alright" She slid off the stool, & walked out into the living room, shaking the thought out of her head. No, Hannibal wasn't cheating on her. He was too gentle, & a very well mannered man.

Little did she know that should be the least what's worrying her about Dr. Lecter.