chapter 8

taking in the beauty of the base island, Y/N simultaneously smiled at the sight of her teammates. in a pleasant or hateful manner — everyone has yet to find out.

the sun had set long ago, and Y/N was shivering in her clothes. the light night breeze would've been enjoyable if not for the sudden temperature decrease. she hoped to change into something warmer for the night soon, not wanting to wake up with a fever tomorrow.

Wilbur and Eret seemed to be in the midst of a deep conversation under a couple trees near the islands edge. the trees provided shade during the day but also acted as a home for all kinds of insects. meanwhile Niki was talking to the parrot she was holding. Y/N guessed her teammates finally took the bird out of the pantry that day.

seems pretty cute, I wonder if it can talk — Y/N was pretty sure that parrots were the bird species that could learn to talk, though she wasn't sure hence she didn't say anything.

upon taking the last steps off the bridge and treading onto the soft grass, Eret immediately took notice of Y/N's appearance.

"hey! where were you?" he asked with a bit of worry in his eyes.

"on the middle, where you were also supposed to be." the girl replied coldly. "speaking of, where did you dissappear, Eret? you left me by myself." if her voice didn't express her disappointment, her wording did.

"I died, I'm sorry—"

"and you couldn't go back to get me? or you Wilbur, why couldn't you have? Niki?"

"we got attacked by red team, the guy got really close to getting us out–" Wilbur tried to reason with the girl but got cut off.

"so you just forgot about me? you know, if you had gotten me i could've helped against the attack— or with getting the base back together."

"we didn't forget about you, we just didn't have the chance to go and get you." Niki joined the conversation with a softer tone than everyone else's.

"but what if something had happened to me? I don't know anyone here!"

"stop acting like a fucking child, Y/N! you're an adult, you can fend yourself." Wilburs words harshly concluded the argument.

Y/N felt as though her whole team was against her. why would he say something like that? did she do something to upset them? how can she apologi—

why should she apologize? for being rightfully scared? for calling them out on not caring about what happened to her? the time that she felt sick and they slightly nursed her didn't mean shit. they probably just felt obligated to do so.

silence overtook the group, Wilbur soon started to regret his words but the girl was having none of it. Y/N approached the stairs and made her way onto the second floor of the base. planning on spending the remainder of the repugnant day in solitude.

want me to fend for myself? you'll have to do so too.

with fights left unresolved and words unspoken, night came swiftly. Niki had politely asked Y/N to keep lookout for anyone plotting to invade during the night; she asked her since Y/N slept in that day and was less tired than everyone else. hesitating, the girl agreed. at the very least not wanting to get on Niki's bad side.