Chapter 23 - the fall

Ember did make it to her class on time. Though it probably wouldn't have mattered whether she made it or not. She was heading to Transfigurations with McGonagall after all. 

She rushed into class to sit near the back, "Sorry i'm late! Alarm didn't go off this morning!"

McGonagall sighed, "Quite alright Ms. Holland. Let it be the last time this week or i'll have to take points."

Ember sighed in relief, "It won't happen, i promise."

Ember pulled out her pen and paper and begin to take notes on the lesson McGonagall was giving, pushing James to the back of her mind.

****

James, unlike Ember, was in absolutely no rush to get to class. In fact he decided to skip his first class altogether. He knew he'd get a scolding from both Ember and Remus, but he really didn't care. Plus, it was a great excuse to talk to Ember again. 

He almost felt like skipping. He wanted to scream out to the entire world that he had hugged Ember Holland and that she had returned the gesture willingly. The smile on his face was so big, people passing him in the hall started staring at him a bit weirdly. But Hogwarts could fuck off because he was the happiest man alive today. He walked over to the kitchens and tickled the pear, his stomach aching for any kind of food.

He was greeted by the house elves who were more than happy to help the boy out. He received a chocolate croissant and few muffins to give to his friends. He thanked them all on the way out promising to bring Ember around soon. He often exchanged gossip with the house elves. Most of the time he talked about Ember, occasionally asking for advice. The house elves were more than happy to help and offered the best advice they could give. 

James's day had been going great so far. But unfortunately he couldn't just ignore school. Thankfully, there was an incentive to going to his next class. Maybe she would let him sit next to her today. There was always hope. 

****

Soon, the end of the day approached and everyone headed to the Great Hall for dinner. Ember and her friends were walking into the hall. She glanced around, unconsciously searching for James. She found him sitting with his friends towards the middle of the gryffindor table and the corners of her lips lifted just slightly. He was laughing so hard that he could barely breathe and his face was turning redder by the minute. 

She almost didn't want to talk to him because he looked like he was sincerely enjoying himself with his friends. So she didn't, she walked straight past him, thinking he wouldn't notice her.

She was wrong. As soon as she had walked past him, James had felt his heartbeat speed up more than it already was. It was the butterflies that he gets everytime Ember is in close proximity to him. He immediately stopped laughing and anxiously glanced around, hoping to spot her. 

After glancing around for what felt like 10 minutes (which had really only been 10 seconds James is just dramatic), he had finally found Ember. He immediately stood up, tripping over the bench as he tried to get up. He truly looked crazy, but that's what he was for Ember, so why change. 

He called out her name, "Em!"

She turned around, "Yeah?" James thought he was going to melt or faint or both. Somehow she had gotten more beautiful since the last time they had seen each other. Her eyes looked like you could drown in them and never regret a single thing. Her skin looked flawless, glowing even. Her hair was pulled tightly into a bun behind her head. She looked as stunning as she ever did, yet she was in her uniform.

When Ember turned around to look who had called her name, she was slightly happy that James had noticed her and come to talk to her. Somehow he looked more handsome than he did this morning. Maybe it was the way he was smiling at her and staring into her eyes. Maybe it was the way he made her feel like the most important person in the world. Or maybe it was the way he continued to walk closer to her. Whatever the reason, they were both happy to see one another.

James stepped so close to her that he could see the specks of darker brown in her hazel brown eyes.  He took a breath, "Hi."

She smiled back at him, "Hi James."

They were close enough to kiss. They both had a slight smile to their face. Both showing clear signs of happiness in their features. James looked down at her lips. Inches to centimeters. Centimeters to...

darkness. The lights had gone out in the Great Hall. A big boo had echoed through the hall. Everyone had been waiting for James and Ember to kiss. Unfortunately the attraction had been cut short, and the people were not having it.

Shouts of disappointment came from all tables but the loudest table had to be gryffindor by a long shot. Both of their friend groups were shouting, shaking each other, and hitting the table with anger on how they missed such an important moment in the two's relationship. Although there was one table that was showing their disappointment a bit quieter. Up at the instructor's table there was visible disappointment on each professor's face. 

Ember and James, who were blushing furiously from all the attention, went to go sit with their respective friend groups and were immediately pestered with questions of if they had actually kissed. 

"Ember I cannot believe you just did that!" Lily exclaimed.

Alice hummed in agreement. "The real question is did she actually do it?" 

Ember went silent and pursed her lips. Marlene persisted for an answer " Well?"

"Can I eat my dinner first please, I am absolutely starving."

"Fine, but we'd better get an answer in the next 15 minutes or we will have no choice but to tell James you had a dream about him." 

Ember was in the middle of stuffing potatoes in her mouth when her eyes went wide and she almost spit those same potatoes out, "NO!" She finally swallowed, "I will tell you when we get a private area where the entirety of hogwarts is not listening."

"Okay I guess that's reasonable."

a/n

to the girl who threatened to throw up this chapter is for you. please don't throw up. 

anyways I will anxiously waiting to hear what you guys think of this chapter!