Chapter VIII - Nothing's Bothering Me

Zacznij od początku

"It's really coming down tonight..." Takemichi's eyes travel to the nearest window of the apartment. "I think (Y/n) might be staying at her workplace overnight." His frown deepens at the fact that his wife would have to be all by her lonesome, with coworkers that she might not even like all that much. 'Poor (Y/n)...she's been working so hard these days...and having to work overtime too...' He sighs with sympathy. 'And then she has to come back here, cooking food and helping Mikey study...' His face turns red when he realizes that he's been showing more concern for his friend than he's supposed to. 'Wait, why do I care all of a sudden? She's always doing those things, before we met.' He shakes his head, forcing himself to stop those sentimental thoughts.

"Mama's not here yet?" Takemichi returns to reality, startled by Mikey's voice and presence.

Takemichi offers a smile to the little boy. "Ah...no, not yet. I'm guessing she's staying at the facility overnight."

"But what if she's not?" Mikey contradicts. "What if she left and is in trouble somehow?" He conveys the fear he initially felt earlier today. "What if she's hurt?"

Takemichi removes himself from the chair he sat on, neglecting his paperwork to comfort Mikey. "Hey, hey...it's okay. Mama's too smart to do something like that." He holds him by the shoulders, going down to his height. "And keep in mind that mama's strong! She'd never get hurt."

"Really?" Mikey wasn't all that convinced.

"Really, really!" Takemichi reaffirms. "Now, go change into your pajamas, and get some sleep. It's Saturday tomorrow, but mama doesn't have work, and I don't either. Once she comes back, we're gonna go to visit that Taiyaki stand you love so much."

Mikey didn't want taiyaki, he wanted his mom. The woman that always tucks in him into his bed, at times sharing a story or two to help him go to sleep. To him, it just didn't feel right to ignore this situation, whereas his mom is not present, and is outside in the cold and harsh rainfall.

"Okay..." But what's worse is that Mikey knows he can't do anything. Unlike his mom, his body is as fragile as they come. And the last thing he wanted to do was bother his dad any more than what he's already done. "Good night." He goes back to his bedroom, a saddened expression plastered on his face.

Takemichi isn't dumb. He knows how doubt is portrayed in voice and body language; years of serving as a delinquent and mafia boss has taught him a variety of tendencies and behaviors that are influenced by different approaches, both verbal and physical.

That's why he makes an attempt to call (Y/n) himself. And to his luck, she had picked up. "Hello?"

"(Y/n), hey." Takemichi is relieved to hear her voice, assuming that she remains in one piece. He'll never admit that he was worried for (Y/n)'s safety too. "Are you coming back?"

"The streets are already flooding from the rainwater...I'm sorry, I'll have to stay here for tonight. Are you and Mikey okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine." A faint blush colors Takemichi's cheeks. "We already ate dinner, so now we're gonna call it a day. But Mikey..."

"You noticed him acting weird too, huh? Earlier today?"

Takemichi hesitates. "He told me a few minutes that he was worried about you. He's scared that you might get hurt." He steals a glance at the door of Mikey's bedroom, closed. "I tried to comfort him, but I can tell that he's still worried. And with all this noise that the rain is making, I'm sure it won't do him any good either." He apologizes in advance. "I'm sorry...I'm not good with all this like you are..."

"I'm not any better, idiot." Takemichi's blush turns darker at the playful insult. "From time to time, he'd always creep into my bed to sleep with me. No matter what comfort I give him, he'd still choose to sneak his way into my room. He won't even tell me what nightmares he has. He's only open about his feelings by choice, like he's insecure about something."