Chapter VIII - Nothing's Bothering Me

[The Next Week]

(Y/n) and Takemichi wait with Mikey at the bus stop. It'll only be until a few minutes for the bus to show up, so the grown woman asks a few questions to her adoptive son. "Did you study for the math test before we left the apartment?"

Mikey nods firmly, confident that he'll ace it. "Yes! I've been studying this entire week! Even on the weekends!" He exchanges an expression that implies to (Y/n) that he was anticipating for a praise.

"Good work." (Y/n) compliments. "Whatever happens, don't feel bad. There's always other tests to come."

"Of course!" Mikey tucks his fist to both sides of his waist, reaffirming his pride.

"Looks like your tutoring really did work out, (Y/n)." Takemichi brings up, offering his usual kind smile.

"Fortunately." (Y/n) deadpans. "He only puts in the effort when he wants to." She puts the discussion aside to them mention to her son and husband. "That's right, I have to work overtime tonight. I'll be coming back late, so just heat up the leftover's from last night and eat dinner without me."

"Really?" Takemichi's eyes widen. "But isn't there suppose to be a thunderstorm happening tonight?" Neither he, nor (Y/n), notice the alarmed look that plastered Mikey's face.

"It'll be fine." (Y/n) assures to Takemichi. "If it does get serious, I'll just stay at the facility overnight." She sheepishly chuckles at him, rubbing the back of her neck. "Sorry, but it's a really important meeting that I can't miss out on. You know how it is."

"I see..." Takemichi is understanding about the situation. "Then, at the very least, contact me if you do have to stay overnight. So that I won't have to worry."

"Yes, yes..." (Y/n) is amused by this worrisome behavior of Takemichi's, but she don't admit it out loud. Instead, she gives her attention to Mikey, crouching down to his height. "As for you: remember to do your homework, and be on your best behavior with your papa. Understood?"

Mikey doesn't want (Y/n) to be apart from him for that long, worrying about the possibilities of what might happen on her end. He can't explain it, but there's this unpleasant feeling in the depths of his guts, that's telling him to at least say something.

"Okay." Yet he can't say anything to the woman directly. Why? He doesn't know.

But in all her years of working at a spy and detective, (Y/n) could already tell there was a change in Mikey's demeanor. "What's wrong?" She raises an eyebrow, genuinely curious.

Mikey puts on a fake smile, just because. "No, it's nothing!" Even Takemichi had noticed this difference, wearing an expression that was no different from (Y/n)'s.

Seconds later, the bus pulls up to the neighborhood, parking in front of the family of three. "I'm off!" Mikey faces his back to his parents, already putting a foot on the first step of the bus. "Bye-bye!" He walks up the stairs like the conversation meant nothing to him, neglecting the concern that came from (Y/n) and Takemichi.

The two watch the bus driving away, taking them a good minute to comprehend the fact that Mikey was acting somewhat weird, which happens ever so rarely. "Maybe he's just nervous about the test." (Y/n) guesses, still unsure of what the reason might be. "If not, I'll just talk to him later." She gestures Takemichi to the apartment parking lot. "I'll drop you off to work, Hiro. Let's go."

Takemichi nods in agreement. "Right." He walks beside (Y/n) to the parking lot, a bit too eager to have some alone time with her.

~•~

Takemichi is handling some paperwork that he brought from the convenience store, his shift ending early today because of the warnings that were made about the incoming thunderstorm. Beforehand, he had already fed himself Mikey with the leftovers; at this point of the night, the rain was already pouring hard, the pattering of the window heard clearly by the grown man.