Chapter VII - About A Voyage

[The Next Day]

Sluggishly walking down the hallway, (Y/n) prepares herself for another day of work. Regardless of how rough last night went, she had a schedule to follow, and a mission to uphold. A convenience that she thought of as 'minor' was the last reason to ever hold her back; she'd never forgive herself if that ever were the case.

'I should be relieved that I didn't drink more than half of that wine bottle...' (Y/n) pinches the bridge of her nose. 'The headache I'm already having would've been ten times worse.' Before changing out of her night outfit, she goes to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for her family. Despite it being a Sunday morning, she had been used to waking up early. 'Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though...'

However, there seemed to be someone already among the room, causing (Y/n) to go completely still at the sight. She blinks a couple of times to process her vision, making sure that her eyes weren't tricking her.

Unlike any other morning, Takemichi was cooking breakfast. And it doesn't take him long to notice that (Y/n) had arrived. He offers a kind smile, as though last night had never happened. "Good morning, (Y/n)!"

(Y/n) nods slowly. "Y-Yeah..." This was probably one of the fewest times she's ever seen Takemichi cook. Ever. "Good morning." But it also bothered her that he didn't seem in the slightest bit mad at her. To an extent that it put some uneasiness within her.

Takemichi concentrates his eyes on the scrambled eggs he was cooking on the pan that hovers the stove. "I know you're use to cooking for me and Mikey, like, for every meal. So I thought I could help a little bit more by doing this at least." He chuckles sheepishly. "I mean, I'm not as good as you are when it comes to cooking, but I at least know the basics."

'He's not even upset about last night?' (Y/n)'s frown deepens, unpleased by this scene playing before her. 'I took out my anger on him, gas-lighting him even...' She intends to address the matter right away, so she goes up to her fake husband and turns off the stove that was heating the scrambled eggs. 'I'm not gonna act the same way as my mom did.'

"Ah!" Takemichi's face goes pale, and the tone of his voice quickly changes. "What did you do that for? Is my cooking that bad?"

(Y/n) sighs. "That's for me to know." She shakes her head and quickly priorities the matter. "Look, you can't just pretend what happened last night didn't happen. I said some mean things, and even if you just took it, that shouldn't mean that you should be okay with enduring them. It's not fair to you." Takemichi reacts with a sympathetic look. "We were suppose to go out on a date. A night of fun. And it was going so well--then I just had to be stubborn and cause a whole scene that...possibly just changed your entire perspective of me..."

"No, not at all!" Takemichi immediately says, to which startles (Y/n) a bit from this outburst. "I mean, sure, it was surprising to learn all that stuff, but I'd rather hear about that stuff from you, rather than her! That's your past, after all. And it's personal, so it's totally understandable if you felt triggered, and very sad. It happens. If anything, I would've been worried if you didn't react the way you did last night."

"But it doesn't justify for how I hurt you." (Y/n) insists. "You've been nothing but so understanding and nice...to not only me, but to Mikey, too. You always make sure you put in your part. In a way, I was taking advantage of that. Even if it was for one moment...in that moment alone..." She wanders her eyes to the floor, her guilt as present as ever. "--...it's just not fair to you." She fears if this were to ever happen again when her past does come back to bite at her. "And if I just keep doing it...that'd make me no different from my mom...and I made a promise to myself...to Mikey...that I'd be the opposite..."