𝟏𝟒. How To Desecrate A Tomb Step By Step

Beginne am Anfang

"To him, it was a dream worth dying for," Layla goes on. "And he did."

They stop dead in their tracks, apologies flying from their mouths.

She shakes her head with a small smile. "Yeah, no it's fine, really. It's fine. Happens."

"I bet that he'd be positively beaming right now," Steven says. "Seeing you, standing in the proof of it."

Her smile grows. "Yeah, I think so."

"You're the best Egyptian tomb tour guide I've ever had," Noor clumsily adds.

It has the benefit of making her laugh, before she sighs. "Well, it's not such a bad way to go, is it? Let's find out."

Zagreus chokes on his saliva. "Oh that came out of nowhere."

Layla moves forward, while a muscle twitches in Noor's eyes. "Let's not?"

She starts wrying her fingers, so hard that the skin becomes red, and Steven takes her hand to distract her.

After walking a bit further, they end up in a room with 5 different ways, not including the one they came from. They look around, Layla going through one, before coming back.

"It's a maze."

"It's a-maze-ing," Steven immediately says, chuckling to himself.

"I think she was talking about the fact that there are 6 different paths," Noor tells him.

He nods. "Yeah..."

As Layla goes to another corridor, Noor turns to Zagreus. "Can't you just, go through one and tell us if it's the right way?"

"Yeah sure," he says. "How do I know it's the right way?"

"Nevermind."

He juts his chin towards Steven. "Someone has an idea."

Noor turns around to Steven, drawing an eye on a broken, dusty stone pillar.

"This whole structure," he says. "It's a symbol."

She excitedly points to it. "Hey, I know this one! That's the eye of Horus."

"Yeah. It's the royal symbol, protection in the afterlife."

"Those actually work?"

"I don't know about the Duat," Zagreus says, "but it's no use for us. Mortals don't go to our Underworld, it's now reserved for gods."

She frowns, appalled. "What?"

He shrugs. "Yeah, they were never destined for Elysium or anything like that." He even starts to laugh. "See, Hermes made this joke that they could get in and..."

"That's awful," she says, stopping him. "I mean, I never really believed that there was something after but..."

His face drops. "Right."

Steven and Layla, only hearing one side of the conversation, awkwardly stare at each other until Noor shakes her head. "Sorry, yes. Eye of Horus."

"Yeah," Layla breathes out. "The resources to build this thing... Her final Avatar must have been a pharaoh."

Well that surely puts her back in the mood. "A bloody pharaoh?" she exclaims at the same time as Steven.

"So, what?" she goes on. "You think it's a map?"

Steven focuses back on the eye. "Yeah, well... So, the eye of Horus is also the eye of mind, yeah?"

"No," Noor says. "But carry on."