The Carra Family Motto

Start from the beginning

Kingsley adopted this soft goofy smile as he confirmed that their relationship was going perfectly. "I was wondering if you're okay with me bringing her to your dinner party on Christmas Day." Mikayla began to towel off her hands that have now been scrubbed thoroughly, leaving no evidence of blood. "Of course you can, Kingsley." Mikayla summoned her blue bag as she walked away from the sink, towards the junk draw where she grabbed a pen.

She didn't want to waste time by inking a quill, and she preferred to use Muggle pens now that she's not in school. Mikayla grabbed a piece of parchment from her blue bag, and scribbled down the Manor's address. She placed the charm on it so that only Penelope could read it, "here you are..." Kingsley accepted the parchment, tucking it into his hidden inside pocket of his robes. When he made no move to leave as Mikayla went to put the kettle on, she knew something was up.

"There's something else isn't there." Kingsley nodded looking down at his feet. Mikayla couldn't tell if he was embarrassed about what he was about to say, or if he was just trying to build up the courage to ask. "I want to ask her to move in with me, to marry me." Mikayla nodded moving closer to the older man because he was barely speaking above a whisper. "I've been putting all of my extra money into a savings account for the baby, but the Ministry wages are awful at the minute and with Penelope out of work, it's going to be a tight first few months. I can't afford to splurge on a ring..." Kingsley looked up to see Mikayla giving him a soft smile, "come on, follow me."

Mikayla lead Kingsley up to the library, guiding him through the room towards the back right corner. They stopped in front of a magical painting of a goblin waving around a wand to organise different coloured coins. Beneath the painting was a golden plated plaque that read: 'Saibhreas Teaghlaigh'. Mikayla pointed her wand at the middle rightmost shelf of silver coins before whispering "descendo." The coins fell from shelf, raining down and bouncing off of the goblin's head. The goblin turned around to face them, her eyes a sparkling green as they narrowed in their direction while she raised her wand at them.

Kingsley watched in confusion as Mikayla lowered her own wand and bowed to the goblin. "Bancaigird, Ba mhaith liom an teaghlach Carra a fheiceáil slán." Mikayla requested as she raised her head, the goblin moved closer to them, to get a good look at Mikayla. "Ainm?" Bancaigird questioned as she stares deeply into Mikayla's eyes. "Mikayla Alina Black, iníon le Enya Michelle Carra." Mikayla then pulled out the Carra locket, opening it to reveal her picture magically placed next to her mother's.

Bancaigird asked Mikayla for the family motto to gain access to the family vault, "Tá íonacht sa chroí, ní hamháin san fhuil." Bancaigird bowed before the painting swung open revealing a secret corridor with many doors behind it. "I never knew the Carra's had a family motto, what does it mean?" Kingsley asked as they step through the painting. "Purity is in the heart, not just in the blood." Mikayla answered with a proud smile on her face as she lead Kingsley to the fourth door. "What are we doing here?" Kingsley asked, as if it just occurred to him that he hadn't actually asked Mikayla what he wanted.

"Well, you've got two options. I can give you the money to buy a ring for Penelope, or you can give this one to her." Mikayla opened the door, grabbing a ring box on the closest shelf to her. "It was my Mam's engagement ring, the one that my Dad proposed to her with." Mikayla handed Kingsley the box, which he reluctantly accepted, opening up the box to reveal a beautiful ring. It had a charming round-cut center stone that is surrounded by a floral and leaves pattern, that were studded on the cathedral shank. There also is tiny glistening accents with gorgeous milgrain details.

 There also is tiny glistening accents with gorgeous milgrain details

"Mikayla... I can't accept this, your parents would've wanted you to have it." Kingsley closes the ring box and holds it out to the blonde. "No engagement ring deserves to spend it's time on earth locked away in a dark vault, doomed to never meet it's second half. It's a beautiful ring, Kingsley, it deserves to sparkle in the light on the hand of your future wife. I know my parents would agree with me when I say that that ring has been locked away for far too long." Kingsley looked from Mikayla to the ring box, pulling it back towards himself to have a second look at it. "I'll pay you for it."

Mikayla shook her head no, "I don't want your money, I want you to be happy. Think of it as an early Christmas present, it's only three days away." Kingsley sighed as he put the ring into his pocket, before he pulled Mikayla into a tight hug. The young blonde was shocked at first, Kingsley rarely initiated any form of affection, but soon returned the embrace. "Now you just have to plan out when you're going to pop the question." Mikayla grinned as they pulled apart, "I was thinking after the Christmas pudding, alone in your sun room." Kingsley responded without hesitation as the pair left the vault corridor.

Mikayla smiled at the fact that Kingsley was so sure of how he wants to propose to Penelope. "I'll make sure not to go too overboard in there then when I'm decorating tomorrow." Mikayla promises as she seals up the vault, bidding goodbye to Bancaigird and thanking the goblin for her service. "I'm surprised you haven't decorated already." Mikayla blushed at Kingsley's comment, as she was a little embarrassed to admit that she hasn't decorated because she's never had to do it alone before. "Honestly, the later I leave it, the less time I have to create a Christmas monstrosity."

Kingsley let out a chuckle, it was well known to the Order about the blonde's love for Christmas. Her invitations for her dinner party were on par with a sacred 28 wedding invite. "You laugh but I don't think you realise how bad it is. I lack any form of self-restraint when it comes to celebrating Christmas. If it wasn't for Fred policing our decoration shopping, I probably would've spent my whole fortune on decorations alone." Kingsley snorted as Mikayla pointed to the pile of big boxes tucked away under the staircases of all the decorations that she bought.

"What have you two been up to?" Angelina asked as soon as Mikayla and Kingsley rejoined the group. Mikayla wasn't sure who else knew about him and Penelope, or his plans to propose, so she waited for him to speak. "I was asking Mikayla if it was okay for me to bring my partner, Penelope Marshbanks, to the Christmas dinner party." The Weasley all cringed a bit at his words, not out of disapproval of the relationship but because of the assumption they made about Mikayla's lack of holiday restraint. "You willing brought up Christmas while alone with Mikayla? Merlin, bless your soul. At what speed did she tell you about her decorating plans?" George questioned, grinning like a mad man.

"I took my sweet ass time, Georgie, because Kingsley is a gentleman that appreciates the finer details of holiday decor and happens to be a fellow Christmas lover." Mikayla didn't know if that statement was true, but concluded that since he's proposing on Christmas it must mean something to him or Penelope. "Indeed I am, Mikayla even agreed to let me bring the Christmas pudding." Mikayla didn't object to Kingsley's words as much as she wanted to because she knew he was using the pudding as a way to thank her for the ring. "I'm looking forward to trying it." Mikayla stated as she returned to her spot on the arm of the sofa.

"So Kingsley, when did you and Penelope start seeing each other?" Molly questioned after the room fell into a lull, "the end of September." Kingsley responded, not giving away too much information, but the warm smile on his face said it all. No one voiced it, sharing a knowing smile with one another. "Well that's amazing news, Kingsley." Remus spoke, patting his good friend on the back in congratulations. "Yeah, we're happy for you, mate." Bill told him, mimicking Remus' gesture. "Me too." Kingsley responded with a soft smile.