For Allison

Part Two in the Oblivion Reset series:

Oblivion 1: The Deals We Make

Oblivion 2: Sanctuary

+++

The universe reset has begun. It starts with darkness.

"Five."

Five turned to see the Handler.

"You're not dead, I see," he said.

She shrugged.

"I'm hard to kill, what can I say?" she replied. "It's nice to see you alive and well."

"Where are we?" Five asked.

"We're nowhere, for now—but the universe reset is just around the corner. I'm here to make you a job offer."

Five shook his head.

"I thought the Commission wanted me dead?"

The Handler laughed.

"That's all in the past, Five. New universe, clean slate. You really are the best assassin the corrections division has ever produced; so come back to us."

"And why would I possibly do that?"

"For your family, of course," the Handler said. "Allison made a deal with your father to have her husband Ray and her daughter Claire there to greet her in this new universe. But he didn't finish the calculations when the reset button was pushed."

"They don't exist, do they?" Five asked.

"Afraid not. But I can change that, you know. I can give Allison everything she wants: husband, daughter, acting career, you name it," she began. "All you have to do is come back."

Five looked away.

"What do you want from me?" he inquired.

"A ten-year contract in exchange for Allison's family. However, one wrong move and the deal is off. Any breach of your contract and she loses everything—again."

"Fine," Five said, looking back at her. "But my family is off-limits and I want a new body."

She looked at him curiously.

"I guarantee your family will be left alone," she agreed, "and you will still have your powers, but there is nothing we can do about your appearance. Your body is time locked, and not even the Commission can fix that."

"I just want to be done with all the killing," Five admitted.

"We all want things, Five, but that doesn't mean we'll get them."

The Handler held out her hand.

"Join us," she asserted, "do it for Allison."

Five took her hand.

"For Allison."