ONE, i'm okay

tw: verbal & physical abuse

CHAPTER ONE ( 🎤 )july 1, 1995

CHAPTER ONE ( 🎤 )
july 1, 1995.

"Daisy!" she heard her mother yell. The young girl couldn't even lift her head before her door was pushed open aggressively, surprisingly not making a hole in her wall. She jumped, her back hitting her headboard as she saw her mother and father looking at her. Her mother was holding a clipboard in her hand, a piece of paper with Daisy's grades on it, "You have to retake Algebra? Are you serious?" You would think they would have found this out at the very end of the school year.

She opened her mouth to speak, tears already pricking her eyes. When her parents weren't screaming at each other, they were screaming at their kids. Daisy's brother wasn't home, so she was taking the brunt of her parents anger.

"Well, answer me! This is unacceptable," her mother yelled, not bothering to bring her voice down even with the close proximity now. Her mother stayed at the end of Daisy's bed which put the girl at ease a bit. If she came any closer, she was in hitting range. Their parents didn't hit a lot, but when they did, it was safe to say the siblings were scared to even make a sound for the days that followed.

   She'd been sick all day, making her miss summer school, which only made her parents anger worse. The summer school was supposed to help her pass the class she was going to have to retake, but she still didn't understand any of it, even with the help of the teachers, her brother, Alex, and Bobby.

   "I'm sorry," she mumbled, scared to raise her voice above a whisper. Her hands were trembling, tears rolling down her cheeks.

   Her father shook his head. "Speak up," he ordered.

   Daisy looked up at her parents. "I'm sorry. I meant to get it up, but I just don't-," she said, getting cut off.

   "Do not make excuses for this! This is all because you spend way too much time with your brother's band," her mother told her, disappointment laced every inch of her voice. "I didn't raise an idiot!" the woman screamed, hurling the clipboard in her hands at her daughter.

A small yelp escaped Daisy's lips as she shielded her head. Unfortunately, the corner—rounded, but it still hurt like hell—hit the girl on an exposed part of her forehead.

That was the end of the argument, hearing her mother slam her door shut. She was surprised the door knob hadn't broken off yet since it had been replaced six years ago. Her parents had a knack for breaking their children's doors by slamming them shut. Reggie's hadn't even been replaced since they broke it last year.

It took a few moments for her pick her head up, a soft sob making its way out. She stared down at the clipboard, her grades on the paper. All A's except for that one F. Her head was throbbing and she used the mirror on her far wall to make sure there's no blood. She didn't expect there to be, but she knew there would be a bruise. Daisy took a deep breath, picking up her guitar with her shaky hands.