20

the next morning, back on campus, isabel was on her way to cheer as she was already running late from over sleeping.

"hey guys!" she said walking in, twenty minutes late. "i am so sorry i'm late."

"isabel!" hannah smiled, "there's a surprise for you!"

"what?" isabel asked and hannah pointed to a bouquet of flowers sitting on the desk with a note attached.

isabel,

        mallory may have told me your
        favorite flowers :) i hope these
        brighten your day. good luck
        today! xx

                            — grayson <3

isabel grinned at the note before admiring the gorgeous set of flowers in front of her.

today was the final game, the championship game, therefore isabel was stressed and grayson had known just what to do.

"that is too sweet." rylee said, reading the note over isabel's shoulder.

-

the girls were now out on the field with the rest of the cheerleaders as there was five minutes before the game started.

and when it did, the girls cheered like never before, and their team played like never before, especially grayson.

isabel watched grayson and she couldn't be more proud of him, he was literally defeating the other players in seconds.

this was the most anticipated game of the year.

the rivalry fans were definitely like none we've ever seen before, and not in a good way.

for isabel, the adrenaline feeling she was getting as she cheered for the team and her boyfriend was unreal.

the cheers went perfectly as everyone was in sync and went as planned.

yet, isabel couldn't help herself from watching grayson play.

and once grayson shot her a glance from the field her heart skipped a beat.

suddenly the fans go crazy as grayson begins running and makes the last touchdown.

yet, the crowd had a gasping effect to it which made isabel's heart sink, she hopped that what she was thinking did not just happen.

but when she turned around to face the field, there grayson was, lying on the ground, unconscious.

"grayson!" isabel screamed as hannah and rylee grabbed isabel's arms so she couldn't run in the middle of the field to him. "let me go!"

"isabel no, you have to let the medics get to him first." hannah said.

isabel began crying as the two girls grips got tighter. finally when she stopped fighting the urge to run, their grip loosened and rylee brought isabel into a hug.

that was when graysons mother and ethan both ran on the field to comfort isabel as mr dolan ran over to the medics where grayson was.

ethan and mrs dolan both hugged isabel as well while she just cried. "i want to go see him! please just let me see him!" isabel begged.

"isabel, grayson is stronger than anyone i know, he's going to be okay but we've gotta let him get checked out first." ethan told her.

isabel watched from afar on the side of the field as medics surrounded grayson but he wasn't waking up which made isabel cry even harder on ethan's shoulder.

-

an hour later, ethan and isabel had made it to the hospital where grayson currently was. ethan led isabel to graysons room where his parents and sister were sat outside of.

"oh isabel," cameron frowned once she saw isabel, standing up and giving her a big hug. "don't worry, he's gonna be okay."

"would you like to go see him?" mr dolan asked and isabel nodded. so her and ethan went into the hospital room where a bruised grayson laid on the bed.

isabel took a deep breath before sitting down next to him while ethan stood.

it killed isabel to see grayson in the condition he was in. she'd do anything to trade places with him right now. yet, unfortunately she could not.

"my dad said the doctors confirmed that it was only a rough concussion." ethan said.

isabel nodded, holding graysons hand gently.

"want me to give you a minute?" ethan asked.

"please."

and with that, ethan left the room and when isabel head the door click shut, she lost it at the fact that if something didn't happen soon, this mission would be coming to an end soon.

"grayson," isabel whispered, rubbing the back of his hand, "i really need you to wake up right now."

but grayson did not move, causing isabel to let out a sigh.

then moments later, the door clicked open and she felt mrs dolans presence. "any changes?" she asked.

isabel just shook her head.

"i know it must be really hard for you, seeing him like this." said mrs dolan. "if there is anything i've learned from being a mother, it's that it never does get easier."

isabel shook her head, "believe me, it's hard seeing him hurt but i've seen much worse throughout my career."

"right, i forgot about that for a second there." nodded mrs dolan. "you're not going to hurt him, are you?"

isabel looked at her, "that's the last thing i wanna do, however, once he finds out the truth, he'll more than likely be hurt by all of us."

and that was when the two heard grayson lift up his arm to his head and let out a groan.

"gray?" isabel said.

"i feel like shit." grayson mumbled.

"i'll go get the doctor." mrs dolan said before leaving the room quickly as isabel sat down beside grayson.

"isabel?" he asked, eyes landing on her.

"i'm here." she replied softly, grabbing his hand.

"thank you." grayson said. "for being here."

"i wouldn't be anywhere else."