Chapter 1: Suspicions and Beginnings

Ayano peered around the corner as she watched her senpai behind the cover of the walls, an almost obsessive habit she'd taken to after meeting him for the first time. Her mother always told her she'd find her true love someday, and Ayano refused to let go of the blossoming emotion that filled her when she watched Taro. It was the only thing she had. Any time she wasn't watching her beloved, a bitter emptiness filled her. She knew her obsession was unhealthy, but she simply couldn't bring herself to care.

Her head tapped against the wall as she lost herself in thought. Ayano perked up when she heard the sound of her senpai's locker click closed. She was ready to head off and hide in the shadows behind Taro as usual when she felt a hand clasp onto her shoulder. 

Ayano jolted as her hand reflexively made its journey towards her thigh, a newly sharpened knife hiding just below it. She froze in place when she met the deep grey of the martial arts club leader, Budo Masuta. 

"Aishi-san?" He asked, looking slightly alarmed at the girl's reaction, "You've been standing there for awhile, are you feeling okay?"

The tension slowly bled out of her body at Budo's voice. Something about the boy always calmed her down but she could never put her finger on just what it was. It was an emotion she had never felt with anyone in her entire life. Even the one who made her finally  feel couldn't replicate that calmness she felt with Budo.

"..Yes, I'm alright, I just- uh.." Ayano desperately racked her brain for an excuse, "I-I thought I saw a bunny around here.. seems it left already."

Budo gave a questioning look at this and pressed on, "Shouldn't you be in your club right now?" He stepped forward and Ayano was suddenly concious of the short distance between them.

A strange swirling feeling entered her stomach and she felt her face heat up slightly. "Ah, right," she pretended to remember, "you're the leader of the Martial Arts club, correct?"

He looked taken aback at the sudden change in topic. He gave in quickly, dropping his suspicions, "Yeah, why?" A friendly smile graced his lips, "You wanna join?"

Sure, it wasn't exactly a part of the plan to join the Martial Arts club.  But something about that smile instantly made Ayano want to cave. She nodded dumbly, momentarily lost in Budo's eyes.

"Great!" He somehow looked genuinely happy and yet Ayano couldn't understand why something so small made him feel so much. The heat in her face began buildings as she broke eye contact. Why did that make her feel so special?

Eventually, Budo led her to the club. Something about some paperwork and a entry test. Ayano wasn't too worried about the test, she was fairly skilled in combat after all. She knew it wasn't that, so why wouldn't this feeling go away? 

Budo slid open the door to the club and four faces greeted her. Ayano immediately took notice to the firey eyed girl staring her down.

"Hey everyone!" Budo clapped his hands together, "Aishi-san here is planning on joining as a new member." He turned to Ayano, "We have a tradition of having new recruits win a fight against one of the members, you up for that?"

"Of course." Ayano replied almost instantaneously.

The bright eyed girl from before met her eyes with a challenging smirk, "How about me? I've been looking to prove myself."

A new sense of determination filled Ayano as she mirrored her new opponent's expression, "I'll do it."