O1. Word per word

As much as I hated how this woman treated me like an animal

As much as I hated how this woman treated me like an animal. It has been quite refreshing knowing I now have a home to call my own.

I learned her name was Makima the day after she took me in. This woman lets me sleep where she works, I trust you wouldn't leave me. She said. I don't attempt to escape as much as I would want to. For some reason, I now loathe living in the wilderness despite having lived there for the majority of my fleeting life.

A few days later, Today. Miss Makima━ Everyone I come across seems to be calling her that━ is urging me to come with her to exterminate a devil. She tells me I'm different from a devil, that I was what the bureau called a fiend. A human corpse taken over by a devil in order to survive.

Though despite this information, I have yet to remember my life as a human before being the fiend that I am. Even my name.

"What's your name?" She asked, delicate hands caressing my hair as I sat with my back faced to her as she stood, seeming as if she was tying my hair. "You have beautiful hair." She adds.

"My name is Makima."

I didn't know what to reply. My head was emptied at that moment as I attempted to recall a name from my life previously. In a rather uncharacteristic phenomenon of me, my heart started to pound quickly, my eyes averted the sky and pointed straight to the ground. Sweating heavily, afraid to disappoint the woman behind me for some odd reason. As if I was being suffocated. "You don't have a name?" She inquired one more time.

I nodded.

"Oh, Well then would you rather I give you one?" Makima followed after  a small chuckle as she tightened the tie on my hair.

I agreed. Both to having her decide my name and to coming along to todays extermination with her. Accompanied by two other men in suits whom I had no clue as to who they were.

In a black car, we were sitting behind the drivers' seat. I was sitting by the left window while Miss Makima was sat by the right side. She was looking outside the window. As curious as I was to what she was interested in, I, too looked outside.

To none of my surprise, There was nothing interesting. Just a grey sky and a barren field. Barely any animals or living creature around and yet, in my perspective, Miss Makima looked so interested. It was peculiar to say the least, It was as if she was so enamoured by the view or even thrilled about something to come.

Miss Makima was hard to read especially just by her facial expressions though she was indeed very attractive. I've always considered humans neutrally in terms of appearance but I couldn't deny her of that compliment━ in any case, I could see how she was clearly expecting something, I don't know what but she seems to be enamoured in the thought of it.

"Do you like the name I gave you?" She asked, head tilting slightly to muse her curiosity━ snapping me out of my daze only to realize Miss Makima's gaze was now directed at me rather than the outside. She wore that unsettling.. yet so pretty smile that never seemed to cease for a moment.

I stammered between my words. Quite the shame. I managed to answer or rather mutter a yes. The name she gave me was quite interesting, I liked how it sounded. Calling me by the devil I am felt derogatory. Although I have never cared for such, having a name now seemed like the next best thing to whatever I had missed in previous lives.

She hummed in response. Contented with my meek answer, I suppose.

Then the car came to a halt.

"We're here, Miss Makima." One of the men upfront announced.

Miss Makima was standing out and about of the car in a moments' notice, with me following suite.

It was a big warehouse.

The smell was revolting. It reeked of blood and whatever devil was supposedly inside. It was noisy as well, like an engine barely revving up, on the brink of dying out.

Miss Makima, went inside first. The two men and me walking behind her. the other two kept eyeing me down, perhaps they were only wary of my presence considering I am still a fiend after all.

"Is that.." one of the two started, "a devil?" A clear uncertainty in his voice.

"We came to exterminate the zombie devil but by the looks of it, someone beat us to the pulp." Miss Makima mused.

She slowly turned to look at me, her eyes staring straight at me causing myself to get quite unnerved. "What a shame, I was hoping to use you today." She smiled.

Miss Makima then eyed the car, seeming as if she's signaling me to.. oh.

"Go sit back at the car and wait for me." she finally says- or orders me to, rather.

I was hesitant, I wanted to stay by her side. I do? I do. Surprisingly, Yes I do want to, but of course, I followed her word.

Making my way out of the warehouse and to the car. As I sit down, with my hands on my lap as Miss Makima had previously instructed me to, my neck starts becoming itchy.

Perhaps it was the collar Miss Makima had given me.

A dyed collar, with a rounded golden name tag with my name on it. The name she chose for me. Nialedd.