After Whizzer got killed by the Duolingo owl, Cordelia and Cordelia killed Mendel and Marvin, Whizzer died again, Charlotte killed Cordelia AND Trina, Jason had a heart attack, Charlotte and Whizzer went to jail, broke out, and Charlotte died, the family all decided that they needed a vacation.

Marvin packed up the car early in the morning, and all six of them crammed themselves into the seats (Charlotte was, sadly, still dead). Nobody knew where they were going— Trina thought they were going to a hotel, and Whizzer thought they were going to Florida. Mendel thought Marvin was going to drive them off a cliff and was currently hatching an escape plan.

"Are we almost there?" Cordelia asked. "It's been four hours."

Marvin glanced at her in the rearview mirror. "Just be patient, Cordelia. You said you wanted to get away, right? This campsite is far, far away."

"Campsite?!" exclaimed Mendel, but it was too late. His escape plan was in action; the side door opened and he tumbled out of the car. Everybody screamed as they watched him roll away— and even more when they realized they were crossing a bridge.

Trina slammed his door shut, and all of them sat in silence. Marvin continued to drive and drive. Jason woke up from his nap a few minutes later. He looked around and asked, "Where's Mendel?" Trina started to cry.

"Why didn't you just tell us we were going camping?" Whizzer asked.

Marvin shrugged, feeling slightly guilty— if he had, maybe Mendel would still be there with them. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"We've had enough surprises!"

The car ride seemed like forever, but finally they reached the campsite. Nobody was really in the mood anymore, but Marvin was determined to have a nice vacation. He got Jason and Trina to help him pitch the tents while Whizzer and Cordelia started a campfire.

Then Marvin decided it was time for dinner. "Jason, go and get the hot dogs from the trunk," he ordered. Jason sighed and stomped over to the car. He was already done with this trip.

"Are we all just going to pretend like everything's okay after what happened to Mendel?" Cordelia asked incredulously.

"Where are the hot dogs?" Jason called. Marvin ran over and started digging though the trunk. He became more and more panicked as each second passed, before he swept everything onto the ground.

Trina sat down by the fire and put her face in her hands. "Don't tell me you forgot to pack them," she muttered.

"I can't believe it," Marvin said. "Those were our only source of food. And now we're stranded. We're going to starve to death!"

"We could always drive back," suggested Whizzer, but Marvin pretended not to hear him.

It was a very gloomy night for the tight-knit family. They were getting hungry and they knew one of them was going to have to scavenge for food, but nobody wanted to do it.

"I think Marvin should go because he got us into this mess," Whizzer said bitterly.

Trina nodded. "Me, too. It's his fault my husband is dead."

"Nobody knows he's dead for sure," interjected Marvin. "Lots of people fall off of bridges and live!"

But everybody cast their vote on him, and so her agreed to go into the woods and look for something to eat. It was already dark by then, so Cordelia let him use her flashlight.

He heard the rest of them talking amongst themselves as he ventured into the forest. Eventually, he couldn't hear anything from the campsite at all, not even the fire crackling. The only plants he'd found were either poisonous or dead, and there were no animals to hunt anywhere.