Chapter Ten

Bluestar jumped onto the highrock. Her voice rang out as she called, "All those old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the highrock for a Clan meeting." She stood up straight, looking around as her clanmates gathered into the clearing. All of their ears were pricked and alert, as well as their eyes wide with concern. There was no kits to be apprenticed, and the Gathering was moons away, so it couldn't be good. Firepaw and Graypaw sat beside each other. "This can't be good." Murmured Graypaw.

"A patrol this sun high caught scent markers from WindClan on our territory." She began.

Yowls of disapproval sounded from the cats. As Bluestar was about to continue, Ravenpaw came running into the camp. His sides were heaving, and he could barely breathe as he stumbled up onto the highrock. "Oakheart... R...Redtail, and Tigerclaw were f-fighting by Sunning R-rocks and," But before he could continue, he collapsed onto the ground. Bluestar gasped and jumped down by his side. Goldenflower, who was wasn't recovered from Whitecough yet, yowled with disbelief and wanted to run to his side, but didn't have enough strength to do so. "Spottedleaf!" She yowled out.

Spottedleaf and Waterpaw emerged into the Camp entrance just a few seconds after and Spottedleaf raced to Ravenpaw's side. She looked at Waterpaw, "give these to Goldenflower." She mewed as she dropped the catmint in front of her. Spottedleaf then sniffed his body. His sides were still heaving hard, but shallow. She looked up at Bluestar. "He will recover soon. He's just traumatized and in shock, which is what made him faint. He has a few scratches." She trekked to her supply store and grabbed a wad of cobwebs to stop the bleeding.

Waterpaw was crushing the catmint for Goldenflower to chew, and she pushed them towards her, "please eat these Goldenflower." She meowed softly as Spottedleaf emerged into the den. Spottedleaf didn't stick around to ask any questions; she quickly got some cobwebs and ran back to Ravenpaw.

Waterpaw padded under the brambles and stood just outside the medicine den. Suddenly, a cloudy vision came to her. A dark tabby tom striking at another tom from RiverClan. Then a tortoiseshell tom had the RiverClan deputy cornered. The rocks above him collapsed on top of the RiverClan deputy. Waterpaw recognized that it was Oakheart. Redtail stood in horror as he saw Oakheart get crushed. Then suddenly, the dark tabby tom pinned Redtail down and killed him swiftly. Waterpaw's eyes were wide with fury. Tigerclaw had killed Redtail! Waterpaw had trouble coping with what she had saw. She blinked her eyes back to reality and looked around to see if any other cat had gotten the same message. No one had seemed to. Not even Spottedleaf who was still applying cobwebs to Ravenpaw's wounds.

"Help me get him to my den." She mewed, looking up at Whitestorm, who was sitting not too far from her. Whitestorm nodded then lifted him. He was lighter than  he had expected and they both took him over to his den. He was limp, but his sides were heaving unsteady. A few moments later, a loud yowl came from the back of the clearing. Waterpaw quickly looked out into the clearing to see what had happened. Tigerclaw was carrying a lifeless body in his powerful jaws. It was fresh-kill. It was Redtail!

Waterpaw knew her vision had come to real life. Should I tell Spottedleaf of my vision? She thought to herself. No, I'll I mustn't stir any hostile words tonight. Tonight we mourn over a dead deputy and hope that Bluestar doesn't appointment the murder as the new one.

The night pelt was clear above, but the cats were bristling with anger as Tigerclaw padded closer and the Clan realized what he was carrying. Tigerclaw dropped the dead deputy in front of Bluestar. "Oakheart killed Redtail in battle, and I killed Oakheart in as he gloated over his death."

Waterpaw bit back her tongue. He was definitely lying, but starting a quarrel on this night was not going to be a good idea. Spottedleaf turned and to see her lifeless brother laying in the clearing. She gasped and raced over to him. Her once pretty amber eyes clouded with grief and closed as she shared tongues with him one last time. Bluestar did the same when she had finished and other warriors began to follow. Waterpaw didn't know Redtail that well, so she stayed back near the medicine den. Her vision still clear in her mind. If Tigerclaw gets what he is after, ThunderClan is doomed forever!

Runningwind padded over to his apprentice and nudged her. It's like he could tell that she was uneasy and deep in thought. She looked over at him, still dazed but managed to say a few words, "I'm sorry about Redtail." She murmured, "Did you share tongues with him yet?" She asked, trying to make conversation.

Runningwind nodded swiftly, and stayed silent. He mourned over his friend, but not as much as Spottedleaf and Bluestar would.

As if the night couldn't bring any more bad news, clouds formed ahead. Cold was coming fast, and it was not going to be welcomed too easily. Waterpaw saw Spottedleaf returning to her den. Waterpaw waited for her to settle down and for Runningwind to leave before she padded over to her. "I'm sorry about your brother." She mewed, "I can't possibly know your pain, but I am open to talk if you need me."

Waterpaw was about to walk out the den when Spottedleaf called out to her, "Wait," she finally mewed, pitifully, "I don't really need to talk, but it seems you need a friend."

Waterpaw pricked her ears and turned around. "You always know what I'm feeling." She meowed softly. "I do need to tell you something." Her eyes met Spottedleaf's gaze of curiosity, "I had a vision while I was out in the clearing." Her voice was loud enough for only Spottedleaf to hear.

Spottedleaf's eyes widened, but she stayed silent waiting for Waterpaw to continue.

"Tigerclaw killed Redtail."

"Are you sure?"

Waterpaw nodded, "Affirmative."

"As much as I don't want to believe it, I can't disagree with a vision. It was probably sent to you from StarClan."

Waterpaw tilted her head to one side, "You think StarClan sent me that vision?"

"Yes," Spottedleaf started pacing the the medicine den grounds, "Have you spoken to Bluestar about this?" She added, stopping and looking at Waterpaw.

"No." She mewed, "She wouldn't believe me. Besides, breaking her the news now would just stir up some trouble with her and perhaps the rest of the Clan as well."

Spottedleaf nodded in agreement, "We will wait till the time is right. As of now, we will just sit vigil for our fallen deputy." She padded to the supply store, gave Goldenflower another leaf of catmint to eat, then padded out into the clearing with the rest of the Clan sitting vigil for Redtail. Waterpaw sat just outside Spottedleaf's den. She was exhausted, but couldn't sleep. She felt too tired to sleep. The thought of her vision made her bristle with anger, but the thought of being a medicine cat made her bristle even more. Goldenflower opened her eyes weakly and looked over at her. "Don't worry little one," She began, "Everything and everyone has a place."

Goldenflower's words struck Waterpaw. Her heart started to race with more questions, but knew that Goldenflower was too weak to say much more. Perhaps in the morning, she could ask her what she meant. Waterpaw laid down where she was a few fox-lengths away from Goldenflower and closed her eyes in hopes of a better day tomorrow and hopefully more answers.