Chapter 52: Spectator

Start from the beginning

That was Klein’s first impression. The second thing he noticed was the stack of paper notes in the bulging wallet.

There were more than twenty gray notes imprinted with black ink—gold pounds!

Old Neil opened up the wallet and pulled out the notes. When he looked at it carefully, he immediately chuckled.

“Ten-pound notes. The honorable Founder and Protector, William I. Wow, Goddess, there’s a total of thirty notes. There’s also a few five-pound notes, one-pound and five-soli notes.”

More than three hundred pounds? That’s a huge amount of money in every meaning of the word! I might not even earn that much in ten years... Klein’s breathing turned heavy involuntarily.

As the amount of gold pounds was immense, picking up such a wallet was equivalent to picking up a briefcase of banknotes in his previous life.

“I wonder which gentleman dropped it... He can’t be someone ordinary,” analyzed Klein calmly.

Such a wallet was clearly not a woman’s.

“There’s no need to care who he is,” said Old Neil with a chuckle. “It’s not like we attempted to divine and take money that doesn’t belong to us. We should wait here for a moment. I believe the gentleman will soon be back searching for it. It’s not something that can be given up no matter who it is.”

Klein heaved a sigh of relief. He had a brand-new understanding of Old Neil’s morals.

He was rather worried that he would have used the Goddess’s bestowment as an excuse and paid off his debt. He was still wondering how to prevent it and persuade him otherwise.

Is this “do as you wish, but do no harm?” Klein suddenly learned something new.

The duo did not wait more than a minute by the streets when a luxurious four-wheeled carriage zoomed over. Its side had a light blue logo with a dove spreading its wings.

The carriage stopped, and a middle-aged man dressed in a black formal suit with a bow tie of the same color alighted. He looked at the wallet, took off his hat, and said politely, “Sirs, that should be my master’s wallet.”

“Your logo is proof of everything, but I need to make additional verifications. This is to be responsible for all parties. Might I ask how much money is there in the wallet?” replied Old Neil politely.

The middle-aged man was taken aback as he said in a self-deprecating manner almost immediately, “As a butler, I do not know how much money Master had in his wallet. Sorry. Please permit me to ask.”

“As you wish.” Old Neil gestured for him to do as he pleased.

The middle-aged man walked to the carriage’s side and through the window, conversed with the person within.

He approached Klein and Old Neil again and smiled.

“More than 300 pounds, but less than 350 pounds. My master does not remember the exact number.”

Does not remember... That’s really some filthy rich guy. If I had that much money on me, I would definitely be counting it again and again... Klein was filled with envy.

Old Neil nodded and handed the wallet back.

“With the Goddess as proof, this belongs to you.”

The middle-aged man took the wallet over and did an estimate before pulling out three ten-pound notes.

“My master is Sir Deweyville. He wishes to commend your morals. This is what an honest person should receive. Please do not reject it.”

Sir Deweyville? The one who established the Deweyville Trust? The Sir Deweyville who provided cheap rental apartments to the working class? Klein immediately remembered the name.