𝟎𝟏𝟐. owner of a lonely heart

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," Addison smiled before turning to Burke and Derek, who were at the nurse's station. She handed them Dorie's file. "Dorie Russell, she's giving birth to quints."

"Yes," Derek muttered. "Richard said we were on standby. Which is no problem really, 'cause it's not like I have a neurosurgery department to run or anything."

"Aww," Addison mocked.

"Yes, apparently our departments are at her disposal," Burke added.

"Do you have time to talk to the mom now?" Addison asked. "I want her to meet all the surgeons on the team."

"Yes," Derek sighed. "No problem."

"I'll come by after I get out of the OR," Burke said.

"Thank you, Dr. Burke."

"Sure," Burke said. He took back the chart and left.

Derek stood up and turned to Joanna. "Alex Karev killed Mr. Martin."

"He what?" Joanna nearly shouted. "How?"

"I gave him one job. One job. Not let him drink water. Not only did he fail, but he gave the wrong dosage of hypertonic solution."

"How wrong?" Joanna asked.

"He gave 500cc per hour over four hours, instead of-"

"500cc over four hours," Joanna guessed. "Holy fuck. He essentially dehydrated the brain."

"He essentially killed him," Derek corrected dryly. "Let's go see the mom."

Joanna nodded, and she and Addison guided him to Dorie's room. Inside, they found Mia doing a heart reading on the quintuplets.  "Dorie, this is Dr. Shepherd he's our head of neurosurgery," Addison said. "And you have already met Dr. Rhodes."

"Hi," Derek and Joanna said at the same time.

"Oh, another Dr. Shepherd?" Dorie asked.

"He's my husband actually," Addison replied.

"Seriously?" Dorie asked. They both nodded. "Wow. Look at you two. Everybody must hate you."

Derek and Addison said at the same time, "Oh, you have no idea."

"Anyway Dorie, Dr. Shepherd wants to talk to you about Lucy," Addison continued.

Mia raised her eyebrow at the mom, looking at her file. "You've named them already?"

Dorie reached out and grabbed Mia's arm. She placed Mia's hand on her stomach. "This one up here. This is Charlotte. She's the stubborn one. Lodged under my rib cage. Won't budge," she moved her hand to another part of her stomach. "Now over here, Lucy. She's a badass. If she gets kicked, she kicks back," she moved her hand again, and now Mia had a bright smile on her face. "Emily. She has hiccups almost every day. And over here is Julie. She's pretty mellow. Every once in a while she just turns over," she moved Mia's hands again. "Which brings us back to Kate."

"Who gives you belly burn," Mia smiled.

Dorie grinned. "Every time she kicks."

"And she is your quint," Joanna said to Mia, before turning to Dorie. "Each baby got assigned an intern."

"Uh, I feel like a beached whale," Dorie sighed. "What did you want to tell me about Lucy, Dr. Shepherd?"

"She has a condition called hydrocephalus. It is a build-up of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain," Derek explained. "And excess fluid builds up and it puts pressure on the baby's brain which could result in brain damage. Here's the good news. We caught it early enough. We can take care of it very quickly."