𝟏𝟎. Gods Work In Mysterious Ways

Start from the beginning

Layla showing up out of nowhere to speak right in her ear? That she can't do. Noor jumps, startled, and Marc turns to his friend, eyes slightly widened in horror. When he's sure that it's actually her, he looks away, face scrunching up to hold back swear words.

Noor smiles. "He loves attention," she says. "What are you doing here?"

She's sipping some sugar cane juice with an innocent smile. "Doing his job, but better." She turns to Marc. "Right guy, right place. But you're not Egyptian."

He isn't having any of this. "Layla, what the hell are you doing here? You shouldn't be here."

She hums. "But she can, right?" she asks, gesturing to Noor. "No offence, but you're criminally unprepared."

"None taken," Noor grumbles because, well, she's right. "Showed up in my socks."

"O...kay. And so what my name pisses off a few people in Cairo? Who cares?"

Marc holds back his first remark as best as he can. "It's not the locals that I'm worried about," he tells her, eyes lifting to the rooftops.

Noor follows his gaze, barely making out the shape of Khonshu up there. "Stalker."

Layla shakes her head, sighing. "Come with me. I'll help you find what you need."

NOOR BARELY HAD the time to change – thanks to Layla – and to recover from her emotions

NOOR BARELY HAD the time to change – thanks to Layla – and to recover from her emotions. Or, at least, to process them. And she felt another crisis brewing.

Sitting on the edge of a boat towards gods know where – she didn't ask, didn't care, she just wants this over, to be fully honest. And to stay alive, if possible –, she tried her best to ignore the pair of long legs slowly walking to her, until Zagreus was sitting in front of her, and she couldn't ignore him anymore.

A good thing she was sitting away from Marc and Layla, because they really didn't need to hear this.

"Hi," Zagreus tries.

She ignores it. "You have 5 minutes to explain yourself before I start screaming."

Alarmed by the sound of her voice and the bond whispering that she needs him, Marc turns to her, frowning. "Did you say something?"

She gestures towards herself. He doesn't see Zagreus, of course, but he can picture it. "Guess who showed up?"

He inhales sharply. "Ha. Good luck."

"Thank you."

"I really wasn't talking to you." Zagreus is going to need all the help he can get, going by how hurt Marc saw Noor this afternoon. And he wasn't going to get any pity from him, that's for sure.

Zagreus closes his eyes, and lowers his head. "I know you deserve an explanation..."

"Fuck yeah I do," she huffs, eyebrows raised. "You know what, I don't even care what you've done, but you can't just leave me like that to overthink it out." She looks at him, pained by how obvious her point is. "You live with me, every day you see me. You know how I get."