Chapter Sixteen: Christmas is Ruined

Start from the beginning

Our cute little morning together was ruined as soon as we got to the workshop. The plastic toy was nowhere to be found and the three of us elves were starting to worry.

Bernard and I were working at the Naughty and Nice Center with Holly in her little highchair watching us with her array of baby toys littering her little table. All of a sudden, the machines were suddenly cut off and our attention was drawn to the top balcony overlooking the workshop where the terror was standing waiting for our attention.

"Can I have your attention?" The toy asked, now dressed in a uniform that represented the little dictator persona he was trying to create. "Stop the work, please. Everybody stop the work. Merry Christmas! I have a little announcement to make. From this moment forward, we're not gonna be making any more toys."

"What the hell is he talking about, Bernard?" I ask my husband to which he answered by shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head no.

"The children of the world don't deserve these presents. They're running rampant with naughtiness. So, for this Christmas, we're gonna give those greedy, selfish little kids exactly what they deserve...a beautiful, high-quality, yet low-sulfur variety of coal," he finished, holding up a large lump of coal for an example.

All of the elves started breaking out into discussions and shouting their opinions throughout the workshop. Bernard and I looked at each other and we both shared the same scared, hopeless, expressions.

"Quiet!" The toy shouted causing everyone to halt their conversations. "We have to focus, all of us, on the goals ahead. And just to make sure that that happens--" He says before grabbing a blowhorn from his servant. "I-I hate to blow my own horn..."

He honks the horn and all of the doors around the workshop open and in came many huge toy soldiers, painted in uniform, stomping into the workshop. Terrified elves looked and gasped at the army of soldiers in the room and I was right there with them, feeling like all hope was lost for the Pole.

"Stay where you are. Don't be afraid," Bernard tried to calm the elves around us, grabbing Holly from her highchair and keeping her close to his chest. He moved beside me and wrapped a protective arm around my waist, squeezing gently so I knew he was there.

The soldiers made their way to their positions before halting in their formations around the room, surrounding all of us elves so we felt trapped under their leader's authority.

"I was up late. Couldn't sleep... Milk couldn't do it, cocoa was a little sweet, so I decided to make an army of toy soldiers. They don't have a good sense of humor like me. I would do what they ask you, which is pretty much what I'm going to tell you!"

"Don't listen to him!" I shouted, tired of the large toys rambling. "This guy's not my father. This toy isn't Santa!"

The elves gasped and started whispering to each other before Bernard spoke up. "Yeah! He's a toy. He has a rubber face and a plastic tushy."

All of a sudden, two of the toy soldiers surrounded me and Bernard, trapping us and pulling us toward the exit. Holly started screaming, her face bright red as the tears fell from her eyes in sheets and her little lip was quivering.

"Trust us! Don't let him ruin Christmas!" I shouted with tears falling down my face. "Do it for us!"

"Thank you for those kind words, Clara and Bernard. The two of you made for a fabulous example of what happens if you don't do what I ask. Well, now that we all have an understanding--have...a joyous and merry Christmas."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bernard and I found ourselves shoved into our home by the army of toy soldiers, Holly still screaming her little head off until her face turned a bright shade of red and her veins were showing at the surface of her skin.

I, on the other hand, couldn't have been more upset so I couldn't imagine how Bernard must be feeling.

"This is outrageous! Christmas is ruined! Why in the-- Why would I trust anything Curtis says? This is why he isn't head elf and at this rate, he'll never get there with Christmas on the verge of being completely wiped off the calendars. I--I--" Bernard's voice started to crack he was so upset but I didn't stop him from raging.

He took a seat at the kitchen table with me after pacing the floor for what felt like an eternity. He put his head in his hands and we sat in silence for a moment as our thoughts mingled in our heads for a moment.

"Honey?" I asked, placing my hand on his arm and soothingly rubbing up and down. "It's going to be alright... Alright?"

"How can you say that?" He asked curiously, his voice muffled through his hands.

"Because I've been working on something and I might possibly have brought it home to make some updates on it in private," I smirked.

That caused his attention because he slowly moved his fingers to look through at me, not knowing what to believe. "What?"

"Well, Quintin and I have been working on a new jet pack for the ELF patrol team, annnnnd I might have brought it home to work on it while I had a day off recently," I smile confidently.

"I knew there was a reason why I married you!" Bernard exclaimed and jumped up from his seat to lean over and give me a kiss. "So what are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking that you stay here and I'm going to use it and fly home to go warn Dad about the toy freak Hitler out there. But you've got to stay here with Holly, B. I need you to trust me on this."

"I'll always trust you with anything, doll," he smiled and grabbed Holly from my arms.

My heart warmed at the nickname that started it all for the two of us. Our first encounter with each other. Eight years ago and now I'm stuck with my elf dork.

"I'll go get ready!" I exclaim and run upstairs to collect my gear.

--------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1638