Chapter Nine: Seeing Is Believing

It was Dad. His hair was longer and fully white along with a growing snow-white beard. He was a lot larger than before now. He wasn't Scott Calvin anymore... he was Santa Claus.

"I'm right here, Dad," I smile and he turns around.

"Claire bear!" He exclaims and I run into his arms, giving him the longest hug I think I've ever given my father.

"Where's Charlie? I want to talk to you kids."

"He's with the judge," Mom answers while she and Neil stand up from their seats.

The judge's door opens and Charlie walks out in front of the judge. "Dad!"

Charlie runs over and jumps into his arms just as I had done and Dad picks him up.

"It's all okay. I told the judge everything about you and the North Pole," Charlie whispers to Dad.

---------------

"After reviewing all of your testimonies, I've come to a very difficult decision," the judge starts off. "I'm sorry to do this in light of the holiday season. But in the best interest of the children, I'm granting the petition of Dr. and Mrs. Miller. I'm also requesting that you consider separating your eldest daughter, Clara, from seeing Charlie for a period of time. It seems that she fuels this fantasy and I don't believe this is appropriate for your son."

"Excuse--"

Before I could stand up fully, Dad took my hand and I sat back down on the windowsill beside him. This time with a glare at the judge.

"Mr. Calvin, as of today, all of your visitation rights are suspended, pending a hearing after the first of the year."

Everyone stayed silent and I tried to keep my cool while tears filled my eyes. I could really use Bernard right now. I stood up and put on my coat, grabbing Dad's hand as the two of us walked out behind the other three.

"Clara? Can I talk to you, honey?" Mom asked, her voice wavering as if she were going to cry.

I nodded and she pulled me aside, waving Neil and Charlie towards the doors of the courthouse.

"Sweetheart, I hope you don't think--"

"Mom... It's okay. I understand. I can't agree with the judge but if you don't want Charlie to be happy then that's your fault. I don't want a part in it anyway," I sniffle and grab my father's hand again, leaving the courthouse.

---------------------------------------------------

It was now Christmas Eve and Dad and I were taking a walk.

We didn't talk the whole way home, both of our heads were aimed at our feet as we walked through the park.

I had all that I wanted... Bernard's sweater was hanging on my body, my headphones and walkman were in my hand, and the little statue that had broken out of my snowglobe from Bernard.

We walked down a familiar street and I realized it was Mom and Neil's street. I smirked to myself and together we stood at the window where the dining room was.

The three of them were eating Christmas Eve dinner but Charlie looked so sad. He even had a plate made up beside him with a handmade card that said 'Clara'.

Dad grabbed my hand and pulled me up to the front stoop with him. He rang the doorbell and my eyes went wide before the door opened slowly.

"Hey, Neil," Dad said before leading me into the house.

"Scott? Clara?" Neil said while following us into the house. "You two are not supposed to be here."

"Don't make me beat you up, Neil," Dad said in all seriousness with his red reindeer sweater and hat on.