Chapter Four

Months flew by in peace for Varre who dedicated this time to practicing and honing his magic to the point where he could utilize it perfectly within the limits of not having a grimoire. Being complacent wasn't an option for him and he didn't even let a single day go to waste. A grimoire was simply a tool which would help regarding the spells and techniques, but how a mage utilizes their magic is totally upon themselves. Varre used this time frame to gain as much insight as he could on his magic, leaving no stone untouched.

His fifteenth birthday went by as well and soon came the day where he could pick a grimoire for himself. 

The Grimoire Acceptance Ceremony takes place every year on a day of any month selected by the owner of the Grimoire Tower. It is done for the children of Clover Kingdom to receive their grimoires. Fifteen is the legal age for mages to receive grimoires and once they are in possession of it, they are officially deemed as mages, allowing them free access and usage of their magic.

Every six months after the Acceptance Ceremony, the Magic Knights entrance exams take place in the Clover Kingdom for admission of new and upcoming mages into the military of the kingdom. The Magic Knights is the only occupation anyone can be a part of, regardless of their background. Although there is discrimination within the squads based on background, it is ignored during the admission process. A Magic Knight is on their own and it is entirely up to them on how they prove themselves by earning merit and fame through the missions and climbing the ranks.

It is the only occupation which gives a chance to the people belonging to the backward classes, a chance to change their lives. The job also came with honor which was why many of the citizens flocked over to try and become Magic Knights to make a name for themselves.

"Shall we get going?" Varre asked, taking one last look at himself. He appeared to be decent enough and his face exhibited excitement. 

Seeing this on screen or reading it on his smartphone screen did not provide him with the excitement he was feeling at this moment. Experiencing something first hand feels different when reading or having heard about it from someone else.

"Thought you would never ask." Altria smiled, seeing her friend excited. Her mind traveled back to a year back when she received her grimoire. It feels just like yesterday when she got hers so she knows how it feels. "I see someone's excited."

"How can I not be? I can finally not hit myself with my own magic." Varre said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Albeit, in truth there are hardly people who hit themselves with their own magic for the sake of training. "Plus I can't wait to see what kind of spells I will be able to use."

'Magic advances with the passage of time. Which means my sword magic would be advanced compared to his.' He thought to himself. 'In canon, no other person had Sword Magic so this is going to be a totally unknown territory.'

Bidding his mother goodbyes, both the teenagers got on their respective brooms, taking off to the skies of Clover Kingdom, heading towards the southern parts of the kingdom. The Grimoire Tower was built in the last village of the kingdom, the Hage Village, situated in the Forsaken Realm where the peasant community of the kingdom resided.

The kingdom of Clover is divided into three realms; Noble Realm, where the people of Royalty and Nobility reside, Commoner Realm which is for the Commoners as per namesake, and lastly the Forsaken Realm where the peasants and the poorest of people reside. The people are divided on the basis of both birth and magic power reserves.

Royalty and Nobility-born have the highest magic power reserves, commoners having mediocre reserves and lastly peasants who have little to no magic power at all. The social hierarchy made according to the magic reserves of a person is impossible to escape even if the person dedicates their entire life to training and honing their magic.