Fight Or Flight

Chapter Six... Fight Or Flight

Cameron's POV

There were a group of us that were still accounted for. I stuck tightly with Nathan, but we both realised instantly that we were another one down...

"Where's Lisa?" I asked, and we both froze.

"Lisa?" Nathan called loudly.

"Lis?" I shouted.

Then we heard a terrifying scream, and we both ran.

We followed Lisa's distinct scream into one of the offices. Lisa was cowered into a corner, and a large man wielding a knife stood over her.

"Help!" Lisa cried, tears rolling down her face.

"Nathan, no!" I screamed as Nathan leapt and tackled the man.

"Lisa, RUN!" he shouted, and she ran into my arms.

"Nath!" I cried.

"Just... GO!" he ordered, falling to the floor. "NOW!"

Lisa and I hesitated, but then we ran. We ran as fast as our legs could carry us. I could hear Lisa struggling, tears falling down her face. We ran out into the produce prep room, and hid in the large watermelon bin in there.

"I... thought I was... a... goner," Lisa breathed.

"Shh," I whispered.

We heard footsteps, and we kept silent as the heavy breathing of our predator filled the room. Then, suddenly, the lid of the cardboard bin was pulled off, and I had no time as a knife was plunged into my back. We both managed to climb out of the bin, and Lisa ran away as I was stabbed again.

The man then left as I fell to the floor.

I had never been in so much pain, and I began fighting to stay conscious. I managed to walk into the manager's office, but I couldn't move any further.

I began waiting for death to come.

>>>>

Lisa's POV

I wasn't sure where I was running, I just ran. Cameron had been stabbed, and I had no idea where Nathan was... had he been attacked, too? Tears continually streamed down my face as I made my way out into the store. All I wanted to do was run...

"Lisa?" I heard my name whispered, and I turned to see Nathan standing there.

"Nath!" I cried, expecting him to be dead in the office.

"Where's Cam?" he asked.

"He was stabbed," I sobbed. "In the produce room. We were hiding in there... he must have seen us go in there!"

"I found the others," he announced. "They're all still together. And all still alive."

"What do we do?" I cried. "I've escaped from him twice! I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get away from him again."

"I'm gonna go find Cam," he announced. "But I'll take you to the others first."

"No!" I cried, grasping his arm tightly. "Don't leave! You'll die!"

Just then, we heard a scream. We both looked around to see Brian, Sarah and Ella running towards us.

"He's down there!" Brian shouted. "Run!"

And run we did. We ran until we were in the lunch room. We didn't see Cameron at all along the way.

"What are we gonna do, Brian?" Sarah cried. "What can we do?"

"We have to get out of here," I whispered. "We can't stay! He'll kill us all!"

"Calm down, Lisa!" Brian hissed. "We can't leave. We can't. We have to stay! For all we know, there could be another one outside."

"No," Ella hissed. "He's working alone."

"How do you know that, El?" I asked.

"He probably meant to break in, thinking nobody would be here," she whispered. "But... since there were nine of us... now he thinks we're just... his victims. He won't leave until the nine of us are dead or dying, so that we can't identify him."

"So... he was already a murderer?" Sarah questioned.

"Maybe," Ella replied in a low voice. "He's a criminal, no doubt. Wouldn't all of our cars outside tell him that there are people in here?"

"You'd think so," Brian sighed. "We've got to hide."

"We hid," I cried. "And he found us."

"Look!" Brian hissed. "Vincent's dead. James and Cameron have both been stabbed. Lily's missing. There are five of us left, and we have to fight for our own lives, even if it means killing him!"

"Killing him?" I asked weakly.

"Self defence, Lisa," Brian sighed. "I don't like it any more than you do, but we have to do it. It's the only way we can stop him."

"What can we do, Brian?" Nathan asked wearily. "How do we... stop... him?"

"We have knives," Sarah whispered. "To attack him with."

"God, I don't like this," I sobbed.

"Lisa, we have to do it!" Ella shreiked. "We just have to suck it up!"

"Guys, SHH!" Sarah hissed. "He'll hear us."

"We have to get out of here," Brian stated. "Let's split up. I grabbed some deli knives before, we're gonna take one each."

Brian handed me a large knife. I felt uneasy holding it, knowing what it was now intended for.

"Do what you have to to stay alive, guys," Brian encouraged, and the five of us split off into opposite directions.

It was fight or flight. We were fighting for survival.