𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 | ʙᴀʟʟᴀᴅ ᴏꜰ ʜɪꜱ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀꜱꜱ

Start from the beginning

HATRED, REGRET, AND SORROW. Those dreadful screams that grew louder and louder made Xiao fall down to his knees. The building of darkness was slowly intoxicating the Adeptus up to his breaking point. No matter much he tries to resist and push these painful cries away, it only leads him closer to insanity. His hand gripped tightly on the handle of his polearm upon the hurting pang in his head.

An aching pain that's lingering in his mind verberated everywhere. The eerie darkness shrouded him whole. The hostility of these demons leaks no matter where he turns or looks. Its shrill of agonizing despair made him feel like he was once again tied up by his karmic binds, immobilizing him completely in the shadows of the eternal twilight of his soul.

From dusk till dawn, Adeptus Xiao, the remaining yaksha, had been in battle with the hatred of past demons that were buried deep within the lands of the Geo Archon. All of his strength and energy went to fighting and defending the people of Liyue against the corrupted souls of these gods' devastation and shoulder every last drop of rage. But if the Conqueror of Demons is the one protecting these mortals, who is protecting him?

He, a caged bird, now singing a fearful trill to - just once more - see the light of freedom and stray away from the darkness that relentlessly chips him. A freedom that he knows he is not worthy of due to his past sins, yet deep in his heart he ultimately yearns to feel once again. Even just for a moment - may someone remove the shackles that forbid him to experience a peace of mind.

He just wanted to return home and be blessed by its serenity. But... now that he thinks about it, where is his home? Wangshu Inn was a building that allows him to rest and house in. However, it wasn't exactly the home that Xiao yearns for; for the home he once had centuries ago now only remains as a fragment of his memories; for the people that were part of his home no longer exist on the land he stands on today.

His siblings — Bosacius, Indarias, Menogias, and Bonanus; his fellow yakshas— all left this world already. And it wasn't long after when another that Xiao cherished deeply fell from this world. She too was swept away and was met by a terrible fate.

Just when he felt like he was about to succumb to the depths of the cataclysmic anguish, a soothing melody suddenly sounded throughout Dihua Marsh. The blowing sound of a flute along with the soft strumming of the strings of a harp. And soon after, an enchanting yet calming voice of a young maiden followed after.

"Oh, one of youth. Goddess, guide you.
Ground, lead you, bring the light to land—"

A purifying ballad that was sung in the language of ancient Mondstadt was assisted by the winds, letting it disperse across the land and for those within the radius to have the feeling of tranquility blossom in their heart and mind. Xiao knows to himself that no one else can hold the powerful winds of freedom other than the Archon of Freedom themself. But yet, there was a sense of deja vu that rushed in his veins.

"Oh youth, guided by the servant of the goddess,
unite earth and sky, and bring light to the land"

He felt his heartbeat thumping in his chest at the tender voice that echoed in the atmosphere. He felt himself freeze, his breath caught with the wind. A voice that felt all too familiar to him. A voice similar to the one he wished for hundreds of years to hear once again. A not-so-foreign, but rather, a nostalgic sensation that he - for a long time - has not felt.

And so, with every last bit of strength that Xiao found within himself after the mental war against the negativity of the fallen gods, he dashed as fast as he could to where the direction of the soothing symphony came from. Running as fast as his legs can carry him. Running as quick as the wind can travel.