Versus the Thirty - Part 2

Start from the beginning

(Dakotas POV)

The second time Ryan lost consciousness was absolutely terrifying. It all happened so fast, there was this huge flash of light, so bright all of us shielded our eyes, when I opened them again, Ryan had basically collapsed into Leo and was out once again. We got Ryan back onto a bed, Randall joined us while we let him rest before he eventually woke up. The bed was up against a wall, his mother sat in a chair next to the head of the bed while I sat on the bed towards the end. Randall and Leo stood around occasionally engaging in conversation. How quickly everything happened, his mother and I weren't properly introduced and I still don't think she knows who I am. 

"He's awake." She said, catching the rest of our attention. He sat up like he hadn't passed out twice today, immediately looking at his mom.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her.

"How do you feel?" She asked in return.

"I asked you first." He said, making me smile, slightly because it told me he really was okay.

"Randall told me what a brave kid you were. How could I imagine this." She says. "You saved me."

"You saved me when you gave me to Leo. I was just returning the favor." He says through a few coughs.

"Violet?" Lincoln asks entering the room. "I didn't know a Ryan had cured you already. I thought you said he was to sick to proceed."

"He was. He did the procedure before we could stop him, it could be killing him for all we know." Leo explains. "I need to take him back to my lab in Bay City to run some tests."

"Leo's right." Randall says in support.

"I knew this would happen." Lincoln's sighed. "You cure your mother, and you leave us behind. You're not going anywhere until you cure all of us."

"That could kill him!" His mom jumped in as more villagers walked in the room behind Lincoln.

"He's bounced back twice, the procedure is safe." Lincoln says confidently. I had about enough of this.

"He passed out after each one! Are you insane!" I yelled standing up form the bed. "The next time what if he doesn't wake up at all?"

"Please listen to reason!" Leo pleaded.

"I am!" Lincoln snapped at him. "Ryan cures all of us, or he'll never see his birth parents again."

"What no!" Ryan began as the people that came in behind Lincoln latched onto his parents physically dragging them out of the room.

"Excuse me!" I yelled again taking another step towards Lincoln who stood there with a smug smile on her face. "Who the hell do you think you are huh? You want to kill the only person on the planet that can cure you all?"

"Well I don't even know who you are but you can go to." She scoffed at me through his parents screams while being torn away from their son. At Lincoln command three more men came in surrounding me before latching hands on me forcing me out of the room. Through my struggling  trying to get out of their grip all I could hear was Ryan screaming at Lincoln to let us go. Eventually they brought over a fourth guy that forced me to the building next door, dumping me in the window less room locking the door behind them, leaving me and Ryans parents helpless.

I turned to his parents, who had the exact same look on their face at me. 

"Are you guys okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, are you okay?" Randall asked in response. I nodded to answer his question before extending my hand to his mother.

"I don't believe we've been properly introduced." I said. "I'm Dakota." 

"Violet." She said shaking my hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too." She says looking in between Randall and me.

"Our sons dating an Olympian." Randall whispered to his wife.

"Oh!" She said smiling at me. 

"Yeah he's lucky." I said sarcastically. "Do you guys know a way out of here?"

"Unfortunately no." Randall says looking around the windowless room. "One way in one way out."

"We don't come in here much." Violet continues. 

"What is this room anyway?" I asked looking around at the unlit candles up against the wall and a big cork board with filled with pinned up with pictures of a lot of people.

"Well, the reason you're both here is because the people here are sick. We're just thirty of them, there's hundreds of them out there, every time we unfortunately hear that one of them dies, we hang  their picture up on this board." Violet explained. "We put their name on the front and, age or  anything else that we know, we write it on the back. Just our way of remembering them."

"Wow." I said quietly. "That's a lot of people."

"I guess you know why Lincoln was so adamant in keeping Ryan here." Randall added.

"Yeah, I understand wanting to make sure no one else dies but not at the expense of his health." I added. His parents nodded in agreement. "How many of these people did you actually know?"

"Very few actually." Violet says while I stood in front of the pictures looking over the people's faces. Some people had one picture, some had multiple. "A lot of them were never here on the farm, many of them died before we ourselves came here." One of the names written on the front of the pictures of a younger woman caught my eye. 

"Did you guys know her?" I asked pointing to her picture. The two shook their heads also looking at the pictures. "Hey do you guys mind if I keep one of these?"

—————

"Leo I don't know how much longer I can do this." I said sitting in the chair that was next to the bed. I had just cured two more people, taking the total up to four people today and I was really starting to feel it. "We gotta get out of here."

"They're guarding the only exit and it's not like we can fight our way out of here, we're way out numbered." He explains pacing around the room. 

"Psst!" I third voice said from behind the two of us. When we turned we saw Brandis face behind a crack in the wall. She opened this trap door in the wall waving us over. Neither of us hesitated to follow her out of the room.