The Sunshine State Part 2

Chapter 11

The Sunshine State Part 2

*Kate/Melinda's Point of View*

"We're about two blocks away guys. Everyone ready to go and storm the place?" Morgan asks trying to make light of the situation as he takes a right turn.

"All set." I say unbuckling my seat belt as we jump out of the car and JJ and I go toward the door.

I raise my leg and kick the door open and we swarm inside like a crowd of bees with our weapons raised.

"FBI" I say walking through, I clear a room and then see the basement door open.

I get JJ's attention and she follows closely behind me.

We heard a scream and ran softly toward it; our weapons raised and ready to fire.

I saw a man pinning down a blonde and Mariah was nowhere to be found.

"FREEZE. PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM." I say and he stops, slowly raising his hands. He had a knife. "DROP THE WEAPON."

"Yes ma'am." He whimpers like a small child and JJ seizes him.

I kneel down and take Savannah into my arms, soothing her before helping her stand.

"Hi Savannah. I'm Kate." I say smiling to her. "Do you know where Mariah is?"

"Yes..." She whispers and starts crying. "I don't think she's alive anymore though..."

"Can you walk?" I say as she walks forward and points to a door. "In there?"

She nods and I go to open the door.

It was locked.

"Step back." I say and then kick the door down. That's when I saw her, bleeding from her abdomen. "I NEED A MEDIC. NOW."

"Save her first..." Mariah tries to say clearly but it comes out garbled and breathy.

"She's safe." I say holding pressure around her wound. "WHERE IS THE MEDIC!?" I smile toward her, she looks so much like my girl. "Hey... I'm going to get you home. I promise."

I see the relief in her eye when I told her Savannah was okay. She loves that girl with all her heart, best friends forever, that's for sure.

"I'm Kate. I'm not going to leave your side." I say taking her hand in mine and squeezing it softly while the other holds pressure to the wound.

I watch the EMT take the knife out and treating the wound as best as he could before carrying her out of there and upstairs.

I hugged JJ before escorting Savannah upstairs with a blanket wrapped around her.

Today was a good day.

We were just about to load into the SUV when I heard my name.

"Kate..." Mariah called out as she was being pushed into the ambulance.

"Go." JJ says and I run toward the vehicle.

"Hey... how ya feeling?" I ask as she holds out her hand.

"Stay with me?" She coughs.

"Of course." I say as we drive off.

*Later on at the Hospital*

Pick up...

"Hey mom." She says, her voice sounding perky. "How's the case going?"

"It's good." I say smiling as I sit on the bench. "We found the girls, alive."

"That's awesome! Still a rough day, huh?" She asks.

"Yeah..." I sigh. "How'd you know?"

"You're a terrible liar." She laughs.

"I know and so are you." I say wiping my eyes from the stray tears. "I love you so much."

"I love you too..." She says, laughing a little.

"I mean it, baby girl." I say sincerely. "Today was really good but also rough. I just needed to hear your voice."

"I know you do." She says. "I bet. You're coming home soon, right?"

"Yes. I should be home by dinner." I say walking toward the waiting SUV. "See you soon."

"See you soon. I love you." She says hanging up as I climb into the black vehicle and we drive toward the airport.