He took a large bite and gave it back with a smirk.

"You're obnoxious!!" I said, taking a bite out of my apple and handing it back.

"You're uptight!!" he retorted, taking another bite out of the apple.

"Oh shut up!" I gave him a shove.

"You shut up!" Finny shoved me back and took another big bite spitefully before passing the apple back to me.

I rolled my eyes and stuck my tong out at him.

"Hey Norah! Check this out!" he said, walking towards a large tree with distinct broad leaves.

I knew the tree at once, "That's a Magnolia, and a big one too!"

The tree had a short, thick trunk that split off into other thick branches that first extended outward before bending upwards. The entire tree was covered in smooth, waxy bark that was almost gentle to the touch with darker rough patches that striped its limbs.

I dropped my bag at the base of the tree and grabbed onto one of its lower branches, hoisting myself up.

I climbed up a few branches and looked down at my friend, "Come on!"

Finny set his bag down next to mine and began to climb onto the massive branches.

As he was pulling himself onto the branch I was sitting on, his foot suddenly slipped on the waxy tree bark.

"Look out!" I grabbed onto his sweatshirt and pulled him up onto the branch.

He was startled but okay as he sat down next to me, "Thanks for that."

"No problem," I said, "That's what friends are for."

We sat on the branch and looked around.

"This is pretty cool," said Finny, "You can see everything from up here!"

It was true. From our perch in the magnolia we could see across the entire forest and into our neighborhood.

"You know, we should come here again sometime," he said, twiddling a leaf between his fingers.

"That would be really cool Finny."

A few months later we were walking home from school because the orchestra teacher made us all stay late for an after-school rehearsal. Winter was afoot and we were bundled up to our noses which were red from the cold. We had still been visiting the magnolia but not as much as before. 

"Ugh! I hate my music," complained Finny as he looked as his sheet music, "He never gives the cellos the good parts."

"I hate mine too," I said as I inspected my music, "Usually flutes get pretty fun parts but all I see are donuts and repeating accent lines."

"Gross!"

"I know!"

"No not that I just stepped in gum."

"Oh."

"Anyway," said Finny, "When do you get your car back?"

"Next week," I answered, "Why?"

I had a small, 2002 Chrysler Sebring that had a tendency to break down every couple of months. I bought it because of the convertible top and in the summer, it was definitely worth it!

"Just wanted to know when our suffering is over." he answered smiling.

"Hey it's not my fault that you've failed your driving test three times."

"That test was sooo rigged!"

"If you say so," I said, noticing the small white flakes that were accumulating on my friend's hat, "It's snowing!"