𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻; disguise

Annette is now strolling through the city of London. Alone. Without Enola. Hat above her head as she was in disguise. You know, considering she is now the famous missing marquise.

𝗟𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗢𝗡: the beating heart of England. Her mother always prepared her for many things but the outside world was not one of them. And yet here she was, in the city of civilization. The home of polite society, of music, of literature,

"Lords debate reform bill! Case of the missing marquise." Annette pursed her lips nervously and looked down, grabbing her hat to cover her face as she walked.

𝗔𝗡𝗗 the finest things that money can buy. She must admit, London isn't quite what she's imagined. People are lot more.. excitable than in the country.

So, Annette made a plan. She's going to change her dress and make her hair, so went to the Ladies Garments:

She went through searching for a dress she thought she might like when she found a coloured-peach dress, with flowers patterns on it. She grabbed it happily and pulled it against her body, making sure it fits her. "And what does a strange looking lady like you want with those?" A woman spoke, approaching the room. Annette glared at the old woman. "I shall need a whalebone corset." She nodded to a corset besides her.

"You shall need no such thing. This is a respectable shop." "Then I shall respect it." Annette spoke, reaching into her bag to grab some money. "You don't look like you will. You don't smell like you will." The old woman sneered in disgust.

'Ugh, who does this old woman think she is. Good thing I was wearing a hat." Annette rolled her eyes at the thought. "And I--" The woman stopped halfway when Annette showed her the money, shuffling the money between her fingers.

It was silence as Annette counted the money she has. Then, she looked at the woman, but the woman can't see her, only her lips and nose. "Do you have anywhere I can dress?"

The old woman was speechless, shuddering, she pointed out in the back. "In the back."

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗥𝗦𝗘𝗧: a symbol of repression to those who are forced to wear it. But for Annette, who chooses to wear it, the bust enhancer and the hop regulators will hide the fortune and the important items she had. And as they do so, Annette always wore a corset, they will make her look like that truly unlikely thing: 𝗮 𝗹𝗮𝗱𝘆.

She is a lady, technically.

"You have to married well, Annette!"

"But I don't want to married, Grandmother."

"Well, what else are we going to do with you? You're a 𝘸𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘯!"

As she was done with her dress, hat and white boots. She came out of the dressing room, looking mysterious and elegant. She heard the old woman gasp, "Now, where might I find a lodging house? I'll pay handsomely for good value." She smiled as she grabbed her reticule bag. The old woman, who is known as Miss Gregory chuckles.

Annette buy a few dresses for tomorrow day and payed the money. They are now outside the shop, strolling through the streets, towards a building. "Is this really good value?" asked Annette.

"Oh, best value you'll find. A girl your age asked me the same thing, except she went into the other building."

"Oh." said Annette. 'Enola?' she thought. "Which building, may I ask?" asked Annette, catching up with Miss Gregory.

"The building just down the streets." She pointed not too far away from them. Annette nodded. "You're luck you found me."

••