7 - Kizano Sunobu & The Incident

Week 2

Friday. Audition day.

The faculty made a special exception to delay cleaning time back one hour for students who wanted to audition for the play, and other club leaders excused members that wanted to try out from that evening's club meeting.

Throughout the week, I hung out with Kokona and Saki, Oka and Shin (who really were a cute match), and once I sat with Taro on the fountain in the morning. After cleaning time, I rehearsed for the part of Belle, anxiously hoping that by the time it was officially the day to audition for the part, I'd be good enough to get it. Based on Kizano's nodding approval whenever he'd pass by me and Kokona as we practiced, I had hope.

Aso kept inviting me to lunch, so I spent my week eating lunch with Aso, and it was enough to spread gossip around school — that Aso and I might become a couple. I thought it was too soon for that kind of gossip to be spreading, so I tried my best to snuff the rumors to no avail.

On Wednesday, after two days of Osorō playing with my hair during class, I texted him to stop since our agreement was to keep our friendship on the down-low, and he responded harshly and ignored me for the rest of the week. It made me feel bad for scolding him about it, but at the same time, I couldn't have gossip going around that the delinquent leader was interested in me — that kind of gossip would certainly reach my father's ears if I got mixed up with delinquents, and considering how he'd reacted the last time I got involved with a troublemaker... well, I didn't want to think about it.

When Friday evening finally rolled around, my heart pounded as I headed towards the gymnasium, clutching my copy of the Beauty and the Beast script close to my chest. I was so nervous and felt so hot that I'd taken my blazer off and tied it around my waist.

My father's words that morning echoed loud and clear in my mind.

You'd better not come home tonight without the role of Belle as yours.

I gulped, opening a door to go outside and walking towards the gymnasium. It was then a voice behind me called out, "Hey."

I turned.

Osorō.

He scratched the back of his neck. "Break a leg, or whatever they say. Good luck."

I managed to smile; my spirits being lifted by that single sentence. After being ignored by him for two days, it felt really nice to have him cheer me on, knowing about my father's warning to land the lead role. I waved at him and said, "Thank you, Osorō."

He scoffed. "Yeah, whatever."

I watched as Osorō turned and headed towards the incinerator, the location where, I've noticed, the delinquents tended to hang out at the most. I meant to turn the other way and continue towards the gym, but with no one else in sight, my feet moved on their own and ran after him, my arms hugging him from behind before he could face me again. "Seriously, thank you."

The slight quiver in my arms around his torso must've tipped him off to my true nerves, because he turned and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, smoothing my hair, and hugging me in the same protective manner as when he first discovered my secret. "Don't be nervous. You'll get the role for sure," he whispered, sending a chill down my spine.