To Find Oneself

By the morning, the Yeager estate was alive and bustling with gossip of the previous night. In the servants' kitchens, there was nothing more interesting than the mysterious late-night return of the chauffeur's daughter.

"I look out the window, and I see someone," the cook was saying giddily. "It is a young woman. So, I say, 'what is a young woman doing in the courtyard at this time of night?'"

All the estate's staff were listening intently as they shovelled jam and toast into their mouths ahead of the day's work.

"So I'm looking and looking, and I see it's Mr Tom's daughter!" she exclaimed. "And she's talking; who's she talking to? A man! Not her daddy; he's much too tall-"

"It was Zeke!" butted in the maid excitedly. "The little Fairchild went out with Zeke."

"It was Mr Zeke," confirmed the cook smugly as the staff began to chatter amongst themselves.

"The kid went out with Zeke Yeager? That's too weird..." said another maid.

"I thought the guy was gay," confessed the gardener.

"Mr Zeke is not a gay," the cook protested.

"It's not 'a gay', Rosa; it's just 'gay.'" explained the first maid pointedly.

At that moment, the chauffeur entered the kitchens, clad in his usual spotless suit, a stack of books in hand. Unnoticed, he sat at his usual spot at the table and listened amusedly to his colleagues' gossip about his daughter.

"Zeke Yeager is gay? That makes me like him better-"

"Zeke Yeager is a heterosexual," the chauffeur spoke up eventually. For, there was no other explanation.

<>

The photographer was sneaking up the old, ornate stairs towards Eren's room. Since she got back last night, she hadn't been able to see him. Today, she was dressed smartly in preparation for her trip to the company's office later. A light blouse and an ankle-length skirt.

As she reached the landing, that little white dog scuttled past with an 'arf', and she took a moment to smile at it.

"Shh," said Eren's maid, posted as if a guard outside his room. "He's still sleeping."

"Oh." Her face fell. "Is that normal?"

"When you're taking what he's taking, it is. But he wakes up from time to time."

"...Has he asked for anyone?" questioned the photographer hopefully.

"Bert and Ernie— you know, the muppets."

How very Eren. "Um... Could you tell him I was here?"

"I could tell him the Pope was here, but I don't think it'd make a dent," explained the maid tiredly.

She sighed. "I have to go into the city, but I'll be back by seven... Could you tell him?"

<>

Deep in the heart of New York, Zeke was looking out of the window of his office. Far above the fuming streets, he watched, waiting to catch a glimpse of her silhouette entering the lobby below. Pieck was droning on about the quarterly report and a teleconference with international later, but he found he wasn't really listening.

"Pieck, you know that old brick building we own at the vineyard?" he interrupted.

"...Yes?"

Zeke's next thought seemed to have overpowered the last as he sat down at his grand desk. "Have you ever heard me referred to as the world's only living heart donor?"