It's All in the Family

Eren had just made his request to the orchestra and was conferring with the waiter over the best bottle of champagne to meet his date with. Honestly, the young Yeager couldn't believe his luck. All these years... and he'd never looked twice at the chauffeur's daughter. What a fool he was.

As he stuffed the two crystal flutes into his back pockets, Eren had a funny, giddy feeling in his stomach. He couldn't wait to see her. He couldn't wait to take her out in the morning— the finest breakfast, the best entertainment. He would-

"Eren." The drone of his brother's voice immediately snapped him out of his besotted glee. "You got a minute?"

"Uh, not right now, actually. I have an appointment-"

But Zeke had already taken him by the shoulders with a knowing grin and a "Sure you do."

He was led away from his summer daydream to the waiting disapproval of his mother in the library. He was really in for it now.

"Eren! What are you doing?" Carla demanded of him. "Are you insane?" At that moment, he felt like a boy of fifteen again, in trouble with his parents and nervously awaiting the consequences. "Right smack dab in front of your prominent and paranoid future in-laws, you are hustling the chauffeur's daughter!"

"We were dancing-"

"Well, stop dancing!"

Eren looked pleadingly to Zeke, arms crossed in the corner; he offered no assistance as he turned back to his mother's wrath. "You mean to tell me I can't have a drink and a dance with an old friend?"

"Do I look stupid? I never thought of myself as stupid, but maybe I am."

"I didn't do anything," Eren asserted.

"You were planning to!"

"How do you know?"

"You're kidding, right?" said Zeke finally.

Carla sighed exasperatedly and turned away from her misbehaving boy. "Eren, you're like my own son-"

"I am your own son, mother."

"Exactly!" She spun around accusingly. "I endured twenty-one hours of hard labour to bring you into the world. The doctors begged me to take drugs, but I kept saying I wouldn't do anything to hurt my child. Well, I changed my mind. You screw up with Mikasa," she pointed a nagging finger at him, "And I swear I'll kill you."

Guilt tugged at Eren, but still, he turned away. "I don't know. There's something about Miss Fairchild. I think... I know this sounds crazy... but I really think I'm falling in love with her."

"Oh, God," Carla lamented.

"Listen, I didn't plan this. I can't help it; she's so... something. Sensational."

Watching his brother grasp at straws, Zeke's keen eye couldn't help but notice the faint indent of the champagne flutes through Eren's jacket. Classic reckless Eren. He'd have to lecture him later; he could get seriously hurt that way.

Wait, perhaps if...

"The last time you found someone sensational, it cost the family one and a half million dollars," lambasted Carla.

"This time, it's different!"

"Oh, so original. What about Mikasa? You finally find the right girl-"

"Who's got the right parents," butted in Eren. "Who own the right company."

"You asked her to marry you!"