4

Meliodas and I traveled Britannia together aimlessly. There wasn't anything in particular to do until we ran into Elizabeth. And then she died. And then it kept happening and we figured out they were cursed. That's when we decided to try to find a way to break their curses. Then one day we woke up and realized it had been 2000 years...and I hadn't aged at all. I was staring at myself in a lake, "Mel. I know I'm a demon but...shouldn't I have aged at least a little? I still look like I did the day I left home 2000 years ago...am I cursed?" He was laying in the grass next to me, peeking at me with one of his eyes open, "You do look the same, don't you? Well, I'd say yeah you probably are." He closed his eye again and sighed, like he was relaxing after a hard day's work. "You're being awfully nonchalant considering we don't know what that curse is, Mel," I playfully kicked his ribs, just enough to make him cough lightly.

"Well it's obviously immortality...but what's the catch? I lose my emotions when I die...but I can't think of what yours would be," he admitted, holding his ribs as if I had broken them. I rolled my eyes at his ridiculousness. "Hmm. Well, I murdered my Father, abandoned the realm, killed our kin. But it's not like with yours and Ellie's curses. I didn't fall for anyone or anything like that," I pointed out. He snickered at me, "Yeah, sure." I frowned at him, "What's that supposed to mean?" He giggled, "If you haven't figured it out in the last 2 millennia, I don't think you ever will. You're pretty dense, Aella." I scoffed and flopped down on his stomach, "Tell me!" He shoved me off of him, "Why should I?" I gave him a pouty face with the biggest puppy dog eyes I could muster, "Please, Mel!" He looked at me with his blank face and hummed to himself. "Think long and hard about what you were doing before you got knocked out in the war, Aella," he encouraged.

I furrowed my brows and thought about it. It'd been a long time but I remembered it like it was yesterday. I was fighting back to back with his brother against some goddesses. We got caught in a random surprise explosion and I got knocked out when I went to check on him. "What about it? I was fighting and then I got knocked out after an explosion," I replied nonchalantly. He rolled his eyes at my naivety then flicked my forehead hard. "What the hell was that for, asshole?!" I shouted. "Anyway, as far as your curse goes...You've always been mouthy, stubborn, and never did as you were told. Maybe it has to do with one of those?" he grinned after insulting me. I punched him in the arm then got up. He clearly wasn't going to tell me what he meant so I was done with his shenanigans. "Let's go, I'm hungry," I demanded, clearly irritated with him.

Nearly another thousand years had passed when Meliodas decided he wanted to join the Holy Knights in the Kingdom of Danafor. "Why the fuck would you want to do that?" I asked him incredulously. He shrugged, "Why not? It's something to do and we'll get paid. Plus a place to live." I shook my head, "No. I didn't abandon the demon realm just to become another peon for someone else to boss around." He pouted a little, "Come on, Aella. We've been best friends for nearly three millennia, we've done everything together. You're just gonna go your own way now?" I crossed my arms and sighed, "You're my best friend and I love you, so I'm gonna be real with you. Fuck that, I'm not doing it. You know how to find me." Even after all this time, I still hated the thought of someone telling me what to do and serving another king. I was sad to be parting ways with him after so long, but I could always visit. It wasn't like I was barred from the kingdom.

I sighed heavily when I saw he looked genuinely sad. "I'm not being a Holy Knight, Mel...I'll find a place to stay nearby Danafor though. How's that sound?" I asked him, trying to pacify him while also wondering what the weird painful sensation I was feeling in my chest was about. He grinned, "That's the best I'm gonna get, isn't it?" I rolled my eyes and hummed as he squeezed me in a tight victory hug. In the last millennia, we'd each died a couple times and it didn't really seem like much changed so we were confused but tried not to think too much about it. I saw Meliodas frequently while he was in Danafor and it was bittersweet when Elizabeth's latest reincarnation showed up. I didn't want to see him devastated again and hoped it'd be like the Elizabeth we'd watched grow old without her regaining any memories. I was sitting on the roof of the abandoned cabin I'd been staying in when I felt it. Meliodas' monstrous power was released all at once, I immediately knew what happened. She died again. And he lost it this time. I couldn't help but feel like it was my fault he lost it because I wasn't there for him this time. "I'm sorry, Mel..." I whispered to myself as I stood on my roof facing the direction of Danafor.