o n e

Dependent personality disorder (DPD), formerly known as asthenic personality disorder, is a personality disorder that is characterized by a pervasive psychological dependence on other people. This personality disorder is a long-term (chronic) condition in which people depend on others to meet their emotional and physical needs, with only a minority achieving normal levels of independence.

The difference between a 'dependent personality' and a 'dependent personality disorder' is somewhat subjective, which makes diagnosis sensitive to cultural influences such as gender role expectations.

Dependent personality disorder occurs in about 0.6% of the general population. It is more frequent in females. A 2004 twin study suggests a heritability of .81 for developing dependent personality disorder. Because of this, there is significant evidence that this disorder runs in families. Children and adolescents with a history of anxiety disorders and physical illnesses are more susceptible to acquiring this disorder.

**************************

"Elizabeth, Come downstairs and eat please." My mother's voice echoed up the staircase, causing me to jolt up from my position on my bed.

"I"ll be down in a second," I say at a relatively normal volume, doubting anyone will hear me.

"Ella!" My mother says my name again, a bit more forcefully this time. I groan to myself and stand, shivering slightly as my feet touch the cold wooden floor. I hear my mother's foot steps, indicating that she's began walking up the staircase. "I said I was coming!" I huff in annoyance, striding over to the door and pushing it opened.

"Sorry," I say quietly, avoiding eye contact as I'm faced with my mother. I look up at her for a moment to be met with her green eyes. "It's alright, Love. I just wanted to make sure that you we're okay." I nod in response calming down a bit at the tone in her voice.

I follow her down the stairs and into the dining room. The table is set for more people than usual, It's usually just my mother, father and I, But as I look at the table and count the added chairs, I come to the conclusion that a few more people would be eating with us, Three to be exact.

I turn to ask my mother who's coming over, but she's gone as I open my mouth stupidly to speak. I walk through the house, trying to find my father, but fail. As I walk into his office, I'm met with the maid, Claire.

"Have you seen my dad?" I question her, causing her to look up at me from tidying my father's desk.

"I haven't sweetheart, He was gone when I came in." I nod softly as she goes back to what she was doing.

My patients begin running thin as I look for my father. I walk outside to the back garden the only other place I can Imagine him being.

"Father?" I sigh as the words tumble from my lips.

"Yes Ella? I'm over here." I follow his voice and find him sitting on a bench with a book in his hands.

"Hi," I say sweetly, smiling at my father. "Who's coming over?" I ask, taking a seat in a chair near my father.

"My friend, Ken and his wife and son, I believe he's a bit older than you, but I'm sure you'll get a long. " My father says, smiling at me, comfortingly.

The thought of unfamiliar people coming around scared me a bit. People are very judgmental sometimes, especially when it comes to someone like me.

My anxiety raises as I sit with my father, the spring air hitting my pale skin. I raise from my seat and walk slowly back inside, feeling the green grass against my bare feet. It felt nice, and calmed me down momentarily, Until I entered the house.

I'm met with three unfamiliar faces. They all stare at me, causing me to look down and tug the sleeves of my sweater down past my elbows. I mutter a quiet 'sorry' and look past them, avoiding eye contact.

"Stop staring. It obviously bothers her." One of them speaks up, causing me to look up. My eyes shyly meet with a curly hair boy's deep green ones.