xxxiii.

"....My children, I look forward to your success."

Ubuyashiki smiled as he ended the meeting, the pillars bowing their heads once more before they made their exit, confidence radiating and excitement growing at the recent mentions of Muzan and his followers.

But with the demons clouding their mind, they failed to remember that they left their person of interest behind.

"Ubuyashiki..." Y/n softly spoke as the last of the Hashira left the room, guilt forming in her stomach.

"Yes, my child?" Ubuyashiki sat perfectly still as he raised one hand to dismiss his daughters, sensing her discomfort.

"My behavior has been...inexcusable. Ever since becoming a Hashira, I've changed, and not much for the better. I don't know how to repent for my acts other than giving up my blade and stepping down from the title," she confessed with a deep sigh as she searched for any change in Ubuyashiki's expression, preparing herself for the worst.

"Hmph," a small laugh was let out of the older man, taking the girl by surprise.

"Sir?"

"A little behavior problem is no need for such a speech my child, tell me, is there something else?" The man pressed on, making Y/n chew on her inner cheek in nervousness.

"...Yes. I have done something else...I fear if I tell you I will never be able to face you again."

A lingering silence filled the room as Ubuyashiki contemplated his thoughts, leaving the girl's anxiety to rise higher and higher.

"Y/n, my life pillar. I don't regret giving you that title, and I believe I never will. All those years ago, when I first found you in that village, you had this look in your eye. Though you were draped in blood and surrounded by carnage, you stood tall and unchanging. You had the look of promise I had been looking for in all my pupils. I do not doubt in my mind that you will be the one to defeat Muzan, and finally bring peace to this world. Whatever you have done wrong, or think you have done wrong, will not change how I see you."

Astonished once again by her Master's words, Y/n sat in silence, taking time to think of each word he said.

Is it really inexcusable?

My relationship with a bunch of demons?

The way I act with my allies?

"Ah, and please tell Tanjiro and his friends I hope they recover well," Ubuyashiki said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I've forgotten about them," Y/n said abruptly as she scrambled to her feet, quick to run the door she turned around one more time to the man.

"Thank you Ubuyashiki, I will not disappoint you."

Quick to run out of the room and scurry to Shinobu's, Y/n failed to acknowledge the two lone figures that hid at the end of the hallway.

ਏਓ 。 ゚

"Hello again Kanao," you greeted the shy girl, startling her as you seemed to appear out of nowhere, "Are the newcomers here, I remember Shinobu mentioning taking Tanjiro and Nezuko in. Are they awake? I'd like to see them if possible."