Bad Dream

It had been a while since Sunny had told the truth. His friends were shocked and needed time to process, but they eventually forgave him. Now they hang out occasionally, Sunny comes and visits every so often staying over at Kel's house.

On this particular night, he was doing just that. Sunny tossed and turned in Hero's bed. Since Hero was off at college, he offered Sunny could use it whenever he was gone.

He woke up, lightly groaning as he looked at the time. 3:26 a.m. The black-haired boy then looked over at his friend, who was snoring and sprawled out on his sheets. He sighed, deciding to go get some food.

"Where are you going?" He stopped, turning to look at Kel who had seemingly been woken up by what he thought were his careful footsteps. "Oh, sorry. I uh, I'm just a bit hungry." He looked at Kel, who was sitting strangely straight. He wore an unnerving blank expression, staring him down.

"Really? And how do you plan on getting food?"

Sunny looked confused. He cocked his head to the left. "By going...downstairs? To the kitchen?"

Laughter erupted from the usually kind boy. "What are you going to do? Make yourself a cheap microwaved steak again? Face it, you can't cook for shit without Mari."

His face went cold, why was he acting like this? The mention of his sister in this context was...unsettling. He made his way closer to the door as Kel tilted his head, making only one eye visible.

"If you hadn't killed her, she'd help you. But she's not here because of what you did. Why? Why'd you kill your dear sister? Who loved you more than anything?"

His breath hitched as his clammy hands reached for the doorknob shaking. "N-No...i-it was an accident, I di-didn't mean to-"

"Oh please. Accident or not, you killed her. It's all your fault. It's all your fault. It's all your fault." He became a broken record, repeating that phrase over and over.

Trembling, he grabbed the doorknob and ran out the door, slamming it. His lungs started to tighten as his chest heaved up and down. He looked around and felt his heart sink. It was his old house. But not just that. It was all furnished, but something felt off. He stepped forward, shaking, and looked down. A mess of black hair lay at the bottom of the stairs with a trickle of blood acting as a trail. He inhaled sharply, feeling himself shake more. "No no no no no, it was an accident it was an accident it was an accident," he stumbled back, turning to run to the bathroom and shutting the door behind him. "Calm, calm, I need to calm down." Sunny took a deep breath in, then let it out slowly. In, out. In, out.

"In, out. In, out," a voice from behind him repeated. It was a familiar voice, it was calming, it was...no. He opened his eye and looked into the mirrors. It was Mari. But it wasn't. Her neck was snapped, and she was warped. Her eyes were replaced with gaping black empty holes, and her mouth stretched open unnaturally.

A blood-piercing sound escaped his lips, fear taking over his mind as her hair entangled his body. He flailed his arms desperately, attempting to untangle himself from her. She began to distort even more, her neck twisting at a right angle as her mouth grew more agape, a raspy pained whisper coming out. Sunny started to cry, becoming more frantic as her hair grew thicker. He began to hyperventilate, however, breathing became increasingly difficult as the hair grew tighter and covered his mouth. His shrieks and wails were soon muffled, blobs of tears dropping from his eyes. He looked up and made eye contact with the deep holes in her skull. They were filled with nothing, no sign of life. Just death. Suddenly, everything went red. The strands disappeared.

"They don't forgive you." A voice chimed in.

He stopped. He knew that voice. "No."

"They're lying to you."