𝖙𝖜𝖔:𝖕𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖙

Start from the beginning

All bookmarked at pages he thought she'd like or find funny. Clearly he cared.

So his absence was just Daemon being Daemon.

The only question that remained was the one she asked her mother. A thought crossed her mind.

"Did he get exiled again?" She pondered out loud and watched as her mother laughed loudly.

Celaena tried to frown, but her mother's laugh was contagious enough that she could only smile.

Her mother placed a hand on her belly, "You find your sister funny too huh?" She muttered before looking up at her oldest. "No. Daemon did not get exiled again. He'll probably show up. Sooner or later." She gave Celaena a smile and the girl nodded.

"The bells ring for two and he'll leave again." Celaena stood up, brushing her skirts off. "I shall see you later, mother. I'll be going for a walk. Make sure to get some sleep yes?" She kisses her mother on the forehead and waves goodbye to servants as she leaves.

Her aunt would be by soon after writing to her niece Lady Jayne to keep her mother company. As would Rhaenyra after her flight with Syrax.  Her mother would not be alone for long.

Her walk through the halls is lonely, as always. Her mind races to escape the gore and her ears ring with bell chimes. Celaena is somewhere too far to notice where her legs carry her.

"The bells ring for two. Half beast and small beast fall to gray rats. The bells ring for two. Beast r━━" The fog lifts as a hand touches her softly on the shoulder.

Celaena jumps in fright, turning around and meeting the concerned eyes of none other than the Rogue Prince himself. She blinks up at him, then looks around.

She was in the throne room, staring up at the Iron Throne. Curiouser and curiouser. Is it because the damn chair is cursing whoever sits on it?

She looks back to Daemon now, "Uncle. It is good to see you again. I'd nearly forgotten what you looked like." Celaena can't help the slight bite to her words━━ the heat of the that spills out like she's a dragon breathing fire.

Daemon looks amused at her spite, looking down at her with his usual smirk. Something else hides in those eyes of his. "I hope you do not hate me for my absence, sweet niece. I have been kept busy by the City Watch. Your father has assigned me as its commander." He is taller and has to bent his neck uncomfortably to speak to her.

Celaena stands there, stuck between Daemon and the Iron Throne and decides she'll drag this conversation as much as she needs to so his riddles with neck pain afterwards.

Celaena hums, "I've only recently noticed your absence. My father's headaches have greatly been reduced as of late." She sends him a smile unlike most. A smile that told Damon he'd have to work for compliments and sweet words from her. Daemon understands and his smile is a little tighter━━ acceptance of her challenge gleaming dangerously so in his eyes. "But, I guess congratulations are in order. The Green snake still tarnishing your name to father? Hmm?" Her hands meet behind her back and she straightens, taking a step back while mindful of the swords.

Daemon takes a step forward, too. "It seems despite your absence from court nothing escapes you, does it, niece?" Her uncle does not deny her claims.

Celaena's eyes roll, "You'd be surprised." She sighed, looking Daemon in the eye. "What are you doing here?" She finally asks.

His lips split open in a smile as he stares at Celaena's exasperated face. "I heard you father was throwing a tourney in my honour."

Ah, Celaena thinks. He's still as self centered as always. She eyes Daemon incredulously.

"He's throwing a tourney for the unborn son he so wants and keeps putting my mother at risk for." Celaena switches back to High Valyrian naturally, knowing the walls have ears in this Keep. They couldn't really brand her an evil Valyrian witch that conspires against the crown when all they hear is her being snippy.

Daemon's amusement fades to something more somber when her mother's health is brought forth. After all, he and the Queen were close as brother and sister.

"Your father loves your mother." Is all he says, sounding sure, but his eyes betray him━━ as they always do.

Celaena's eyes loose their focus as she's once again somewhere else, "The bell rings for two and he'll leave again. Half beast falls to grey rats and small beast follows." She returns again to see Daemon's worried eyes, to feel the way his hands grasp her forearms.

Her shoes click as she steps back. "I'm feeling faint. I should return to my chambers." Celaena tries to walk around him but Daemon's hand around her wrist brings her to a steop next to him.

"Celaena..." He begins but halts. Celaena's eyes beg him to. Her mind scares her far too much to try and make any more sense of it. Daemon sighs, "Allow me to escort you, at least." His voice is steady, commanding, because Daemon Targaryen doesn't ask. He doesn't plead. But his eyes do.

The bells ring for two and he'll leave again.

So Celaena looks away. "I'll be fine." Her voice is soft, her touch softer as she places her hand over his and removes it from her wrist. She turns to leave but stops again. "Watch for the strike from your back." She warns, eyes determinated as she looks up at him.

His eyes narrow, paint covers his right hand, red. "Wh━━"

"Watch the strike from your back. Land the final blow." She gives his hand a squeeze, eyes still far away as she turns and leaves. Her right hand only half as smudged with paint now.

Daemon watches, the Iron Throne behind him forgotten as he walks off for the castles library instead.

Author's Note

I tried to do symbolism but I think I failed.