❀ Chapter 19 ❀

Start from the beginning

"And now that you have the position, is it all that you thought it would be?" I am eating the carrots and turnips dish now.

He tips his head back and forth, "Yes and no. I do love giving Sunday sermons. And I do have opportunities to give advice and counseling. But the profession is more about helping people than I would have supposed. I find the job, on my own, a little overwhelming. I have decided to find a wife to help with all the work that needs to be completed." He is looking deep into my eyes for a reaction to his confession.

Thinking about whether he would make a good husband or not, I ask, "And what is your day to day life like? How would your wife help you?"

There is a twinkle in his eye as if he enjoys my line of questioning. "I visit parishioners nearly every day. I need to regularly visit the sick and dying. I bless new babies and try to help people who need food or other essentials. It can be quite tiring. I do get supper invitations several times a week, which is nice. Then, of course, I need to write and practice my sermon for Sunday service. And I often meet with church members who need counseling. My favorite activity each day is riding. I ride at least once a day but usually more. I have a housekeeper that cooks and cleans. My wife will help with the duties to the parishioners, probably helping the sick and needy and help with the visits." He leans toward me a bit. "Is that something you could see yourself helping with, Miss Cavendish?"

My jaw drops with his forwardness. He gives a smirky smile at my surprise. I am saved from having to respond because dessert is placed before us. I take a bite of the delicious chocolate cake. I have to admit to myself that I would be capable of helping with this type of work even though I have not been properly trained as a lady. I could see myself helping him visit and care for his congregation. This puts a tick in the positive column for Mr. Goddard. Edmund has picked another good possibility. But it sounds like I would have very little time for my experiments. And I wonder what Mr. Goddard would think of my love of science. I wonder if he is more traditional in his beliefs than Mr. Wimple and Lord Barkley.

I can see he is still waiting for my answer so I say the only thing I can think of, "I don't know how to ride a horse."

His steady gaze shows he is unfazed, "Well, I will just have to teach you then. Actually, I look forward to it!"

Lady Westworth addresses us then. "Miss Cavendish, you would have very much enjoyed Pastor Goddard's sermon on 'the good Samaritan'. It was quite a moving speech."

Jonathan gives a wide smile and tips his head to her, "Thank you so much Lady Westworth, I am glad you enjoyed it." He points to my plate of cake and his, saying to the servant boy who is walking by. "We are finished with these." The servant quickly takes our food away.

My jaw drops a second time and Mr. Goddard chuckles at me. I don't want to pitch a fit right in Edmund's dining room, but Jonathan just gave my cake away! I don't even know how to respond. I decide to state the obvious, "I was not finished with my cake, Sir." 

I might have expected an apology or him to look somewhat chagrined but his confidence is amazing. He smiles, "Were you not? You looked finished." The twinkle in his eye shows he has no regrets over taking my cake. "Dessert isn't good for one's health. It is best to have it in small proportions." 

I lower my eyelids slightly. This is a very big tick in his 'negative' column. He will have to do a lot to dig his way out of this hole. I don't see how I could live for the rest of my life with someone who gives away my cake.

A few moments later everyone stands. I leave the dining room with all of the ladies and walk to the parlor while the men stay behind to drink and smoke. Earlier, I convinced Beatrice that she needs lessons on how to play cards properly and she has agreed I could teach her until the men rejoin us. I pick up a deck of cards off a side table but before I can get to Bea, Miss Dubois has grabbed me by the arm and is pulling me out of the room. "Miss Cavendish, I would speak with you a moment, if you don't mind." I do mind, actually, but she is not really asking.