Chapter Twenty-Two: The Autumn

Start from the beginning

He chewed this information over. Remigius was powerful: a statesman. If action were to be taken, it must be without his knowledge. They would need to lure the duellist from her hiding place.

"Well, lady, I believe that I may make amends for my failure – as you see it – to recompense your labours on my behalf. However, I may need a little further information in order to do so. As I just explained, corpses are a great inconvenience in my line of work. If, that is, it is assassination that you were thinking of. Such inconveniences have a way of creating obstacles when they are least expected."

Cara shuddered theatrically. "The word assassination, Sir, is not one I admit into my vocabulary. No, I had in mind something more subtle."

"You interest me, Lady Cara. Do please continue."

"Would it not be agreeable to know, once and for all, that the duellist is dead: incapable of ever driving another wedge between yourself and your own dear child?"

"I suppose it would be reassuring. And how do you propose such an outcome could be arranged?"

Cara's features softened. "Sir, the woman's life is devoted to duelling. And, knowing so much of her character as I have the misfortune to do, I can tell you that she is also a vengeful creature."

Léac shrugged. "And so, what of it? Do you expect me to fight a duel with her, Lady Cara? I am a man of business, not a soldier."

"Of course not, Sir," she snapped. "I rather imagined that we could tempt her into fighting a duel that she can't possibly win. A duel to the death, that is. A duel which we would personally witness. She is, by all accounts, weakened and we could pit her against an opponent who would be equally determined to succeed."

"I see you have given this subject much thought. Do you know of such a person?"

Cara smiled as, Léac thought, a snake would smile, were it to have lips. "I believe I do, Sir. Furthermore, an illegal duel is, as I am sure you are aware, punishable by a long prison sentence. Which would mean that, even if Halanya were to win, we would have enough evidence to put her out of sight for a considerable period of time."

"She would be dishonoured in such a case. That is, rather, what you are thinking of, is it not, Lady Cara?"

"Possibly." Cara sniffed. "What difference does it make to you Sir, so long as she can make no further contact with your daughter?"

"To me none. To you, I would say, a great deal. Her dishonour would after all redeem your own status at court, would it not? Come, now, Lady, I seldom venture into deals when I am uncertain as to the motives of the other party. You are her mother, she is your bastard child. Her disappearance removes the stain on your own name, particularly as her behaviour is so, how can I put it delicately, irregular?"

Cara's hands shook and he thought he detected the faint hint of a blush darkening her neck and cheeks.

"It is true," she hissed through gritted teeth.

"In which case, her removal would be a service rendered to you as much as to myself, would it not?"

"I suppose so," she conceded.

"Be that as it may," Léac leaned towards her in a conspiratorial manner, "I believe that we can both reach an agreement which will be mutually satisfactory. So, Madam," he smiled a cold, chill smile. "Please, tell me everything you know."

***

"You shouldn't have gone to such trouble!" Hal grinned broadly on entering Marc's private dining room. Trays of sweetmeats, fruit and cakes fanned out across the candle-lit table, a tall flagon of wine and glasses forming the centrepiece. After two months of staring up at a white ceiling, her eyes feasted on the rich warm tapestries and glowing hearth of the cosy chamber.