part 2

Lisa stares at the basketball ring. The white paint of the backboard peeled off, the hoop spotting with mere orange patches around it, the silver metal seeping out. The net barely hanging on.

It's worn out and used.

She lets out an empty chuckle and shakes her head.

She looks down at the ball dribbling beneath her hand, briefly noting the faded courtliness. Her body goes on autopilot and shoots the ball. The ball falls in the hoop, and the net falling.

"Your father wanted to fix it up for you, but I told him that it was your responsibility to do so instead."

She holds in a snicker. Like fixing the court would help.

Lisa forces a smile before turning around, only to find her mother with a tray full of food. "I got you some breakfast, dear." She says, walking up to her daughter.

Lisa takes the tray from her mother. "Thanks, mom." She presses her lips against her mother's cheek. "You didn't have to." Her mother wraps an arm around her waist, ushering her to move to the patio.

"Please, dear." Her mother says, the both of them walking towards the newly furnished outdoor patio. "I'll take every opportunity I can to feed you. God knows what they're feeding you in LA."

Lisa lets out a laugh. She places the food down on the table. "I mean," she sits down. "I'm not complaining."

Her mother takes a seat in front of her, now sporting a concerned look on her face. "What's bothering you, my dear?" she asks.

"What do you mean?" Lisa looks down at the food, trying to avoid her mother's eyes, and takes a bite.

"Don't play coy with me, child. I know you."

Lisa looks back up and swallows. "I don't know what you mean."

Her mother folds her arms and gives her a pointed look. "You've been cooped up in your room for the past few weeks." Her mother looks around, swaying her arms. "You renovated this patio- which your father and I sincerely appreciate a lot, but, you didn't have to-"

"-I wanted to." Lisa shrugs, recalling the patio set she purchased online the other day. It was pretty. She had to buy it.

As well as the new TV she bought for her room.

And she might've gone a little overboard on the new clothes she bought. But can anyone blame her? The bags she saw were just too cute.

And that big furry coat.

And so were the 8 pair of shoes-

"...But we all know you impulsively buy things when you're stressed."

Lisa scoffs. "I'm not stressed." She lies.

Impulsively buy things my ass.

"Honey, you forgot to mention how she comes out to the basketball court at 5am in the morning, only for her to stare at the hoop before hibernating in her room." Her father joins in, kissing the top of her head.

"Morning, honey. I made you some hot chocolate." He slides the drink onto the table.

Her dad makes his way to her mother and sits beside her.

Lisa stares at the both of them and cocks an eyebrow up. "Is this an intervention?"

"Honey, we're concerned." Her mother leans forward.

"I'm fine." Lisa sighs, already bored of this conversation.

"Something's up with you, honey." Her mother says, her voice filled with worry. "Now, I've been trying to give you space since you first got here. Giving you time to unwind and do what you please. But it's been two months, honey."