7

Bessie was led to a study full of book shelves. There was a fireplace across the reading table and a set of sofas in the middle of the room. Bessie was then asked to sit in front of the reading table who was apparently Arthur's working space.

"This won't take long. Would you like some tea?" Arthur asked as he rummaged in a pile of papers on top of the table.

Bessie simply shook her head, a faint smile playing on her lips. "No, thank you. But I have a question, if you don't mind."

"Pray tell."

With practiced grace, Bessie cleared her throat, her nerves fluttering like caged birds. "I was just wondering how long do I have to work here for the debt to be paid?"

Arthur's gaze shifted to a nearby stack of documents before he retrieved a specific piece of paper. Seated behind his polished desk, he dipped a quill into an inkwell. "Five years."

"F-five years," Bessie repeated, absorbing the weight of the commitment. "And what would happen, let's say, if something happened to me before then?"

Her question caused Arthur to pause, his quill momentarily suspended mid-air. He looked up, a flicker of intrigue dancing in his eyes. "What kind of thing do you think might happen to you, Miss Wildblood?"

"Well, you see, everyone dies at some point, in the end. We just don't know when," Bessie explained matter-of-factly, her gaze steady. "I sort of wanted to know what would happen to the debt if... I wasn't around to be responsible."

An unexpected burst of laughter escaped Arthur's lips, his composed demeanor momentarily shattered. "You're worrying about what would happen to the debt if you die?"

Bessie's cheeks warmed slightly at his amused reaction. "Wouldn't you consider it, Mr. Kingsley?"

Amusement still twinkling in his eyes, Arthur chuckled. "Oh, Miss Wildblood, you are a unique one."

Not entirely sure how to respond, Bessie settled for a small, genuine smile.

"Rest assured, we would find a way to communicate with your family about the debt if such a situation were to arise. Although," Arthur's chuckle lingered, "I believe our concerns might be more centered on mourning your absence than pursuing financial matters." He shook his head in amused disbelief before sliding a paper toward Bessie. "Nevertheless, you need to sign our agreement."

"Yes, Mr. Kingsley."

Bessie took a quill and began signing her name on the space provided. That action of hers made Arthur tilted his head to one side, impressed. "You can read well."

"Yes."

"A maid that can read well. It's rare."

As Bessie finished signing the agreement, Arthur couldn't help but feel intrigued by her past. He leaned back in his chair, his eyes studying her closely. "What was your life like before coming here?"

Bessie hesitated for a moment, unsure if she should reveal too much. But something in Arthur's gaze made her feel strangely comfortable. "I used to live in the countryside," she finally confessed. "I helped my family take care of the animals and sell livestock for a living."

"Living in the countryside must have been quite a change from the bustling town," Arthur remarked, his tone sympathetic. "What prompted your move to Havenshire?"

Bessie shifted in her seat, her eyes cast down for a moment. "Unfortunately, my parents passed away, leaving my baby sister with no guardian. I had to live with my aunt and her husband, who seems to vex me and my baby sister. And then that's when I was summoned here. To... payback the debt."