School and Work

Mom started studying to be a nurse practitioner and I debated on moving from the clinic. About a week ago, I saw an ad for a position at San Antonio Memorial as an ER doctor and it had been buzzing in the back of my brain since.

She came into the office, "I'm sorry, I know I'm late."

Doc checked his watch, "Well, no. Actually, it's 8am on the dot."

Her, Scott, and I: "Early is on time. On time is late."

D: "So school is really keeping you busy, huh?"

S: "Yeah, when are you gonna hook me up with some hot coeds? Or are they all... returning students?"

M: "Uh... you mean people who are gonna be your boss soon?"

S: "Yeah, I don't think that's how it works."

M: "Oh, that's exactly how it works, Scott!"

S: "I'm gonna go do my job."

M: "You mean make me coffee 'cause I'm gonna be your boss? Yeah, you go do that."

My phone dinged, 

"Holy crap..." 

M: "What is it, mija?"

"Um... my application to San Antonio Memorial was accepted."

M: "I didn't know you applied somewhere else."

D: "Neither did I."

"I wanted to get accepted before I told anyone 'cause I wasn't sure they'd even look at my resume but... they did."

D: "Does this mean you're leaving?"

I bit my lip, "No. Maybe? I-I don't know. I'm gonna think on it." I picked up a file and scampered off to the patient rooms.

The timing was off, sure, but part of me couldn't stop thinking that this opportunity could be the opportunity.

---

The next night, I walked into mom's apartment, 

"Hello family, Schneider."

S: "Hey." 

I noticed the ice pack situated in his lap, "I'm not even gonna ask." I walked past the couch, "Mami, did you get your test results yet?"

M: "Looking now and..." she slammed her laptop down, "Come on!"

Ab: "What is it? Don't tell me that you did so much better than the rest of the class that they are now cyberbullying you?"

M: "No, mami, I did bad."

Ab: "What?"

M: "I did really bad."

Elena rolled her eyes, "You don't do bad. You're always killing it."

Al: "We know because you always say, 'I'm killing it'."

S: "This is all my fault. You needed to do real studying, and I distracted you with my spinning and beautiful globes."

"Whatever that means... I'm sure you didn't do that bad, mami."

She sighed, "I tried really hard and I still didn't do good."

E: "Do 'well'. Sorry."

Al: "It's just one test, mom. You'll do better next time."

She chuckled sadly, "That's the thing." she pulled out a stack of papers and dropped them on the table.

We all joined to read it;

Al: "75? 68? 62!"

We were all shocked, mom looked at us like a puppy expecting a beating.