Chapter 9

Piper P.O.V

Percy raised his hand and we shot through the water, heading to the surface. The kraken reached out with a slimy tentacle but the water made it slow. The tentacle seemed to have sharp, jagged spikes running down. My ears popped at the pressure. Suddenly we burst through the water. I took a big gulp of fresh air. Percy manipulated the waves to throw us to shore. Thankfully we were dry. (Curtisey of Percy) I brought up Katoptris and Leo summoned flames in his hands. A spout of water rose into the sky, at the top, Percy. Followed closely by the Kraken. It shrieked and waved its tentacles around. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the group of people. Their mouths hung open and their eyes bulged. They seemed dumbstruck. Leo lobbed a fireball at the kraken. It didn't do any damage to the armoured creature. It shrieked again and swung at us. I remembered something from the stories my father had told me.

"Aim for its mouth!" I shouted, ducking under a tentacle. I saw Percy slashing and hacking at its tentacles, much like what I was doing.

"Get it's mouth open!" Leo shouted. Suddenly the water around the kraken started floating. It roared in surprise and Leo took the chance. He threw a jar of Greek fire into its mouth. It exploded and the monster was enveloped in green fire. It shrieked in pain and flailed around. I saw a tentacle with spikes about to hit Percy.

"Look out!" I shouted but it was too late. It hit him with the force of a fully grown drakon, cutting through his skin. He landed a few metres away from us on the ground. The kraken sank back into the lake.

"Percy!" I shrieked and ran to him. He was bleeding heavily and his eyes were closed. His skin was paling steadily. Something hard hit the back of my head and I was pulled unconscious.