Ch.23 Stupid Little Girls

Start from the beginning

"If you want any chance at living a safe normal life then you will do what your brother and I say," Carla hissed. "We're the only ones fighting for your future here. No one else cares what happens to you, you understand?"

Gia stared at her aunt with nothing to say. She was speechless and stunned.

"Do you understand?" Carla asked, her voice rising. "I'm serious, Gia. Stop acting so fuckin' stupid and think for once in your life. You're throwing everything away for some boy you won't even remember twenty years from now."

Gia felt a fresh wave of tears rise to kiss her eyes. She bit down on the inside of her cheeks to keep herself from whimpering as Carla's nails dug into her skin, leaving small crescent shaped marks.

"Now go get ready and fix yourself," Carla said as she slowly let go of Gia's arm.

Gia immediately stepped back and began to rub her upper arm. Her skin burned from where Carla had clawed her. If it weren't for the horrible sickness Gia felt inside of her stomach, the pain on her arms would have been much worse. She stared at Carla until the woman turned on her heels and walked out of the room.

Gia didn't know what to think as she sank down on the edge of her bed. She knew Carla was right. Luca would never give into her demands. Oftentimes Gia wondered if it was her brother's will or his iron stubbornness that made him so difficult. But whatever it was, Gia knew she would never be able to sway him. And as far as her father was concerned, Carla had been right again. Angelo would not hesitate to use Gia as a prize to lock in a business deal.

Hour by hour, the light in Gia's life slowly vanished. The more she thought about it, the more she realized how impossible her dreams of being with Daniel were. She knew in her gut that they would never make it.

For a moment, Gia had forgotten where they both came from. She had lost touch with reality and how could she not when he looked at her like she was the only girl for him. Every time he touched her, every time he kissed her, every time he stole glances towards her, Gia knew there would be no one else who could ever make her heart beat like that.

Maybe the greatest things in life are meant to be longed for, Gia thought. Maybe she was damned like Maria said. That would explain why she had tasted the forbidden fruit only to have it be taken from her so quickly.

Gia became a ghost of herself as she stood in the shower scrubbing herself clean. Her body moved like the wheels of a clock as she washed, cleaned and dressed herself before Luca arrived with their father. She felt as if her senses were taken from her. It was like floating beside her body and watching everything happen to her.

When Luca and Angelo arrived, Gia made her way to the living room and greeted her father with two kisses. Angelo patted her head and pressed an extra kiss to her forehead, something he sometimes did when he was in a good mood.

"How are you feeling?" He asked Gia, taking a seat on the sofa.

"I'm good," Gia tried to smile but she wasn't sure if she had managed. Luca and Carla watched her from where they sat around the living room. "How was your flight?"

"Fine," Angelo waved his hand. He was a tall man with long legs and arms that could stretch into your body and steal your soul. His nose was hooked and sharp like the blade of the reaper. Unlike Gia and Luca, Angelo's eyes were icy blue. They always made Gia shiver as if instead of eyes, her father had two frozen ice cubes.

"How long are you visiting for?" Gia asked.

"Why?" Angelo arched his brow and chuckled. "Are you already tired of having your old man around?"

"N-no," Gia shook her head. Her eyes shifted towards Luca. "I was just wondering..."

"I think I heard a knock downstairs," Carla leaned forward. "Gia, could you see who it is?"