3. Dream of the past (part 2)

Start from the beginning

When the gathered around people saw the swift and decisive actions of that random man they were all stunned.

Wife Li was the first one who came back to her senses and looking at the two hugging figures she instantly connected the dots. After pointing at them one of her bony fingers she loudly accused Li Dafu of being the main villain who shamelessly robbed her son's innocence!

The onlookers all exclaimed in surprise and realization and immediately started whispering around themselves. But Li Dafu didn't have time to pay them any mind, he kicked away the old patriarch Li who tried to block him and made his way out of the Li family's backyard, running straight to the doctor.

He was trying to save Li Ge'er's life.

• • •

A week after that incident Li Ge'er woke up and the moment he saw the joy and relief on Li Dafu's face, he felt both indescribably happy and sad. The grievances accumulated throughout the years of abuse finally found their outlet. He greedily hugged the startled Li Dafu and cried in his arms for a very long time.

When Li Dafu saw his sorrowful appearance, he gently appease the weeping man and made a resolute decision.

He wanted to take Li Ge'er away from that terrible family!

When Li Ge'er calmed down he looked into the ger's puffy eyes and promise to marry him as his wife!

But obviously the Li family wasn't very easy to deal with.

When the patriarch Li and his wife heard the intentions of Li Dafu they were initially very displeased, but after a day of consideration they eventually agreed, but only under one condition.

They demanded that Li Dafu has to pay them a bride price consisting of whole seven teals of silver, two healthy piglets and four ducks.

Li Dafu lived on as a hunter. His income came only from the sells or exchanges of the beasts he had hunted. So usually it wasn't much.

Also the money he recently managed to saved up were all used up on the medicine prescribed for Li Ge'er's recovery...

But he was also the only living person in his family. And before the death of his parents they left him a small sum of money, together with some old jewellery belonging to his late mother.

Li Dafu took out almost everything he owned and after exchanging it in the bank in the county town he returned to Li family's door.

After getting the silver and desired life stock, the Li parents were satisfied and finally allowed to let Li Dafu take Li Ge'er under his own surname.

• • •

Three years after their marriage the two got to celebrate the birth of their first baby. But because of Li Ge'er's weak body constitution the baby was born prematurely, causing it to be very small and fragile. However the child's will to live was extraordinary strong and thanks to the gentle care of both of his parents he managed to get through the most dangerous period.

After the child's full moon ceremony they named him Li Yi. Their one and only precious baby boy!

At that time they were very happy.

Unfortunately, with the passage of time the health of Li Ge'er regressed frantically. The fact that their child was diagnosed with a suspicion of being a fool doubled their worry.

Then, in a cold winter night, when Li Yi turned five years old Li Ge'er got sick and died...

After his death Li Dafu and his little son were the only ones left in their small broken family. But even though the orphaned Li Yi was a little bit foolish compared to other children his age, he had a very good and comfortable life. Li Dafu worked hard to take care of him and also tried to save a sum of money to secure his son's future, thinking about buying a wife for the older Li Yi, so that he wouldn't be left alone in the world after his death.