Time for School (Rough Draft pt4 - Final)

"Wake up! You're going to be late for school!" - Something teenage students hear in the mornings after missing their alarm... several times. Often students complain about how tired they are after staying up all night, but what if there was a reason they stayed up? What if they're supposed to wake up later? I believe the start and end of school should be from 12PM to 7PM as it would result in better performance, intrigued and ready students, and better mental states for school learners.

The internal clock that tells people when to wake up for 16-18 year olds is 10AM-11PM. Two hours past the recommended start time at the earliest! Not only that, but many schools still start much earlier than the recommended 8:30AM. Teenagers who are supposed to wake around 10AM are awake before dawn and staying up past sunset. In no way should that be healthy for growing teens.

Some say starting later would drastically, and negatively, affect the adults - both the parents and teachers - as their schedule is around those early hours. But even if it effects the adults negatively, it effects the future adults positively. Not only that but there can still be many ways to adapt around it like the teens have done for the early starts. Even when teachers complain about being tired, they also have time off to get breaks as well. With later starts it'll be easier for students who get homework over breaks as they don't have to continue stay awake. But what about the teachers who grade? It's practically a fact that getting grading done is not seen as important as getting homework done to many teachers. Students stress a lot over getting work done, causing them to stay up, but if a teacher won't finish grading all in one day, they can easily just finish the next day. When a student asks about grading, a common response from teachers is that they have many students and will get to it when they can. Also, teachers tend to forget that students may have a lot of homework from all of their classes - and personally for me, in a class that for most can be a work period, gives me more work with no time for other classes. Having later starts would allow students better focus when they work, even if it slowed teachers.

Bringing up the idea of later school to some of my peers, one, a sophomore at Wooster high school, Lotas Smethurst, who which shares a fourth period class, stated "hell yeah" in a text message after the sharing the idea. The idea of later school unanimously concluded in my peers knowing how helpful it would be, and agreeing. If school started later to appeal to teens internal clocks, many students would start to show more motivation, and less burnout. "Getting adequate sleep and adjusting school schedules to coincide with the natural sleep patterns of teens improved mood and attitude. Students were less likely to report depressive conditions..." states masterofartsinteaching.net in 5 Pros and Cons of Later School Start Times. Later school starts would immensely improve student's mental self. It's fairly known that students recently have lower mental health than normal. With later start times it will most definitely make some improvements.

Performance in schools is a major thing to many teachers and districts. When students fail, sometimes kids will say they're tired. Students with bad performance who say they're tired are constantly told to manage their time better, or to stop staying up. For some students, they might have a kind of paralysis. Imagine you're told to put your hand on an active stove top, physically, you can put your hand on it, but your mind stops you. Now imagine that burning stove top was homework, sleep, chores, or even getting up off a couch. I personally also have that paralysis. It's very difficult for some to get around and can be very exhausting. Having later start times could help them with many things. Another personal experience is that I tend to be more active in the later day, making it easier to get past paralysis. And for those who are more active in the mornings can also schedule to sleep right after they get home at seven, since school can wear them out, and work in the morning. Even if people who work later wake up a bit early, they know they have time to relax, plan the day or study. Not only does outside school work have better performance, assignments and tests would do better since student would have their proper times to study according to their schedule.

Based on the possible benefits of later school start time, it could majorly improve student lives. If schools started at 12PM - 7PM, there would be massive student improvement. I doubt school times will ever change in this way, but life is unpredictable. Knowing what outcomes there are, I think it would be good to think about.