masked hearts

My eyes scan the way too filled room. Masquerade themed. I kind of saw it coming though. I'm glad. I pray not too many people recognize me. Especially for my past. Everyone is dressed so elegant. I look down once more at my outfit.

Red long and has a slit. Might be a little too long but gives off the right impression. He wanted me dress formal. And I was not going to fall into his little tricks wearing the dress he gave me. Acting as if everything was fine. I actually ripped it up and put it back in the box. It's on his porch. I think he'll be delighted.

I stare at the bar section and even if I do want to sit there and have a drink I know better.

I go and take a seat at a table with people I'm sure won't speak to me. This is boring. I pull out my phone and start doing my emails. Yet not even a minute later I'm interrupted.

The place looks like a palace. Just like the one in Beauty and the beast. Everything is this pastel white. And everything I touch feels cold. There are large mirrors on basically every corner.

"I see you made it." I hear his voice clear through all the conversations and chattering going around in the large hall room building. I don't look at him yet.

"Thought I'd be harder to spot."

"I knew you wouldn't wear the dress. I'm not stupid." He lips are close to my ear. I roll my eyes and stand up before turning to face him. He stands up straight himself.

"You're late." I can hear a little annoyance in his tone. There's only 20 minutes left till this thing ends. I knew that.

"Were you waiting for me?" I tease.

"I've always waited for you." He stares. His eyes are blazing into mine and I'm starting to get hot. My skin is burning, of course his eyes don't keep to himself, they go down taking in every inch of me. He has pride. Something you can either admire or hate about him.

The music changes into something slower and I know it's his doing. He looks pleasing to the eye . Too pleasing but that's only because it's been so long. He's built more muscle. And grown about two inches which I didn't think would happen. He's handsome. No one can deny that, but he's a puzzle. You will never figure him all out.

I give him my hand and he holds it in his.

"I hate you." I whisper and he smirks placing his hand on the side of my hips. My other hand relaxes on the back of his neck. I try doing everything but look at him but it's hard too. I feel everyone's eyes. And the safest ones at the moment are his.

"Happy birthday." I finally say. It only felt right. He's twenty six now. Honestly waiting for him to pop out with a marriage.

He doesn't say anything. Just makes sure not to step on my toes. I feel his hand bring me closer into him. Too close. All I smell is him now and my hearts racing. My eyes start to trace every detail of him. His eyes are still that dark brown and his beard is cleanly shaven. I keep tracing down. To the slight ink that extends to his neck but is covered from the tux.

Out of no where he spins me and holds me tight pressed against his chest. The song ends and there's just silence. His hand has tightened around my waist and he's waiting for me to say something.

"I think that's enough." I breathe and slip from his touch. My hearts racing and I try acting like nothing happened. I go down into the large halls where the noise becomes less. I remove the mask off my face and just throw it in the trash. I just take deep breathes and pretend nothing happened.

He wants to see me break?

Fuck me?

Maybe even care for me all over again?

He's confusing and does everything for himself. You'll never be a step ahead of him.

I walk outside feeling the cold hit me. I immediately regret taking and Uber and not bringing my coat. Even though it's summer it's still cold in Seattle.

"Let me take you home."

I feel him place his tux over my shoulders and I remove it and throw it on the street ( literally). I happily watch cars drive over it knowing it probably cost him hundreds.

Audacity. That's what he has.

I don't even bother to look back at him. He has never shown anger towards me. It's actually something that pisses me off. He has always been this protective shield and quick to keep me safe and warm but also confuse me. I learned my lesson about three years ago. He ran me out the city. It's sad I let him have me and break me.

"Diana. I'm taking you home." He steps in front of me. His eyes are shimmering and I can see the moon reflect off him.

"I should have never came to this stupid, stupid ball." I breathe.

"It...I expected it to go a different direction." He states , he gets closer to me and I don't back away. Maybe I had a plan to make him fall in love with me once more. That's why I came, because everything he says I do. I wanted him to be under my spell. But I always do everything he says. Like a good girl and I don't know why. I lost myself last night. I lost myself at that moment and he saw me break. Not only because of him , but because of my parents and my brother. All the deaths and all the loneliness. Seeing him again brought back every emotion I ran from.