Chapter 4: and life was never worse, but never better

Start from the beginning

Then she thinks of the fate she almost could have suffered for the second time, in this life, and who caused it. And her fury is renewed, and her exhaustion takes a seat in the back of her mind, hiding away, as anger takes control of her. Anger that makes her eyes flare red, and her veins feel like they're burning with a physical heat brought on by her anger, but she knows it's just her Chaos Magic responding to her emotions.

Ultron has to go down, not for what he almost did, but for what he did do in a future where she didn't know what was going to happen, and couldn't protect Pietro, like he always protected her.

She sees Bruce throw him out of a ship, and she silently thanks him. She didn't know in the past that it was Bruce that allowed her to find him so easily, if she had known, maybe she would have called him a Drama King in conversations with her brother a lot less. She enters the train, and feels Chaos Magic sweep over her figure, changing into her Scarlet Witch clothes once more.

He says, without turning to her this time. "Wanda. If you stay here, you will die." Then he turns his head, and his surprise shows on his face the best it could on a robot face. She tilted her head, eyes glowing red and reflecting off of his metal skin. His eyes widen as she walks closer to him.

"I just did." She replies, words of a lifetime now prevented. "Or, I almost did... Did you know that Pietro was down there when you shot those bullets? Did you know you almost killed him?" Her accent is thicker, in her anger, she disregards all lessons Natasha taught her to conceal her accent.

"I... I didn't–"

"He was." She cut him off. Her wimple flickers into existence, and she smiles the same way she did when she found the weak spot in Kamar Taj's sorcerer-supported shield dome. "But that's okay, he's safe. I made sure of it."

"What are you?" he asks, getting to finally finish the question she stopped him from asking back at the Core.

"Me?" She covered her hand again with Chaos Magic, and started to pull at his core, gently at first, to make sure he knew what he was feeling, knew what she was doing while staring into his eyes with angrier red eyes than his could ever be, despite the smile on her face. "I am The Scarlet Witch. And you never should have messed with my brother."

She pulls his core off his body, in the instant that she sees his eyes widen once more with recognition. So he knew about the Scarlet Witch, then. Too bad.

She stares at the falling city around her, outside of the train, and stays where she is. She hopes Vision doesn't find her this time. She knows Pietro is safe, but she is still so tired, and there is no guarantee for her that she will be happy just because he's alive. He might hate her once she knows the truth, of what sort of a monster his sister is. And there's no guarantee this is permanent.

She doesn't know what to believe in anymore, and she's so confused, and tired, and she'll leave it up to fate now, whether she survives the fall of Sokovia twice. Please, God, don't let Vision save her twice. She can't bear to look into his eyes right now. Too much of a reminder of how she lost him (three! fucking! times!). She changes back into her usual clothes, and closes her eyes, and then she hears it— not with her own ears, the faint buzz of a mind. Pietro's mind. Pietro's memory...

────━▒ ۞ ▒━────

Pietro and him shared a glance, they had all been so sure of their deaths. Clint, when he wrapped his arm around Costel, and got ready for the bullets, and Pietro when he moved the car over to cover them, but didn't have enough time for himself.

He promised Wanda, but he can't believe he's breaking a promise like this. He knows he can't avoid it, but still, he hates that he couldn't move faster, because he knows his twin sister, and this will destroy her. The same way that it would destroy him, if something happened to her.