Chapter 39 - Family Honor

Start from the beginning

Severus found himself bewildered by the turn this conversation had taken. What could Draco have done to prompt this behavior in Lucius? "What sorts of strange ideas?"

Lucius looked vaguely ill with the thought. "Perversions," he sneered. "I think it must be the Black family blood. They have an impeccable pedigree, but their sexual tastes have always been a bit off. Bellatrix will spread her legs for anyone, while Narcissa seems to have sewn herself shut. And Andromeda," he shuddered in horror. "A Muggle of all things. She would have been better off going the way of Regulus than polluting her blood in such a manner." He smirked suddenly. "Did you ever tell your beloved Order exactly how Regulus died? Or rather what he died beneath?"

Severus found his stomach churning with the memory and he forced his face to remain emotionless. He counted the lie he'd told the Order about Regulus Black's death his one kindness toward Sirius Black who likely would not have been able to handle the truth about his brother.

Regulus, like Bellatrix, had a sexual appetite that grew obscene and out of control, to where even their rather public performances at Dark Revels could not fully sate his desire for the perverse. His life had ended at one such revel when he'd been goaded by Bellatrix to quench the sexual appetite of a mountain troll. The creature had crushed Regulus' head to a pulp as it held the man down on the ground and pounded violently into him. By the time the other Death Eaters had pulled the troll off of him, there was little left that was recognizable of his face.

Even to this day the very memory made Severus sick to his stomach. Lying to the Order about Regulus' change of heart and desire to escape the Death Eaters only to heroically meet his end at the wand of the Dark Lord had been far easier than having to repeat such a story to anyone.

"What does this have to do with Draco?" Severus asked, refusing to rise to Lucius' bait. He rather hoped Draco had not expressed similar tastes.

"Draco will not admit it of course, but he is beginning to desire things he should not have," Lucius explained. "Things that are beneath him. He needs to be taken in hand by someone strong enough to satisfy his desires should they awaken. I have decided to marry him off."

"Why are you telling me this?" Severus asked in surprise.

Lucius frowned at him. "Surely that is obvious. I cannot marry him off to any of my current associates and hope to keep him from the Dark Lord's madness. No, he must go to someone on your side. But the problem of course is all a matter of pedigree. Your side is made up of filthy mongrels, your blood being one of the few exceptions."

Severus had a sudden horrific thought - there could be only one reason Lucius was bringing this subject up with him - if he intended to arrange a marriage to someone in Severus' own family. "Oh, Merlin, surely you do not mean Julius?"

Lucius looked outraged at the thought. "The youngest son in a family of five, are you mad? No, my son will go to a blood heir and a head of house, or no one at all."

Relieved Severus just shook his head. "Then why are you speaking of this to me?"

Lucius smirked. "Because there is only one person on your side of suitable blood and position, and now, thanks to your marriage, he is a member of your extended family. I formally request that you present my proposal for the marriage between Draco Malfoy and Sirius Black."

Severus just stared at Lucius in shock, not believing what he had just heard. So much for keeping his emotions from his face - he knew his stunned disbelief was obvious on his expression. "Are you mad!" he shouted. "Sirius Black?"

Lucius just shrugged. "There is no one else on your side that is suitable."

"Black intends to bond with Remus Lupin," Severus informed him.