Chapter One || Behind the Clouds

My name is Melody. Melody Shai Phillips to be exact. Everyone that knows me calls me by Mel, Shai or Melly. Whatever you feel like calling me, go right ahead. I’m the type of girl who just kind of goes with whatever is given me.

       My story all started in a state known as Texas. I was born in Dallas where I had grown up until I was about eleven years old, so…I guess you can say a good proportion of my life was spent in good ‘ol Texas. This is where ‘family’ was, where unbreakable bonds formed right before our very eyes, but you’ll soon find out more as I tell on.

For the time being, let me tell you about a very interesting bond between two grown men. These particular two men were inseparable for years and years. This bond was between my father and his best friend, Richard, who were basically like brothers. They did everything together, from biking, hiking and the occasional coffee stop on their way to work.

       They were childhood friends; they knew each other since they could barely talk or walk. Compared to them, strong bonds seemed like dental floss…the cheap kind. 

       When my family had to suddenly move away from Texas, I have never seen two forty-five year old men cry so much in my life. It was litterally like full blown raging rivers flooded down their faces. As soon as we said our goodbyes to our friends we were rushed to Seattle, Washington where we resided until very recently.

        Everything had been just fine right up until something tragic and terrible occurred. My family’s life will never be the same. My life…will never be the same.

        My dad was one of the kindest, generous, and peaceful person you probably would have ever met. He happened to get involved with two violent gang bangers who decided it was an absolutely smart idea to have a shooting inside the subway.

        He tried to stop them…and because of that…now he is gone. A couple of other innocent people were killed along with my father in that incident. But the impact weighing heavily on my chest was the worst feeling in the world. I lost my best friend that day, my father, my provider and my protector. All of that was stripped away from me in one gun shot.

 I will never forget those jerks who stole him away from me. He was my hero, and now I have no one all because of their pointless selfish act that hurt the innocent, the people who did nothing to deserve this...

My mother didn’t take it so lightly, either. She decided it was too much to bear so, technically, the real story begins here in Seattle, Washington. My home, as far as I’m concerned.

My name is Melody Phillips, I’m sixteen years old and my life has and will never, ever be the way it was again…

                                                                ****

 I was in the terminal waiting outside the gate of my later flight with my two best friends, Tiffany and Michael. They wanted to see me off and try to convince me, again, for the one millionth time in the last week, that Tiffany’s mom was perfectly okay with having me live with her so I wouldn’t have to leave.

I couldn’t possibly just let my family leave me. I needed them as much as they needed me right now, and maybe moving would be a good thing for me. It would give me a chance to breathe and take in everything that was happening to me in my short time on Earth. As much as I would miss them, I wanted something new.

Tiffany wrapped her arms around me, “Awe, I really wish you didn’t have to leave.” The tone in her voice was familiar, a naggy nature reminding me of her offer.

I unwrapped myself and looked at her. “Tif. Could you quit it already?” I laughed, little tears escaping from my eyes. I was then pulled into an even tighter hug. My body jerked for a second and then relaxed as the hug was more firm and warm, than constricting.