xviii|steve harrington, dumbass.

Start from the beginning

I snort a bit, looking over my shoulder. Steve has a point. This whole thing is a little ridiculous. But, that's our lives now. Pure ridiculousness. 

"That's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin rebutes. 

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyways?" Steve continues. 

I nod in agreement. 

"An interdimensional slug," Dustin corrects. "Because it's awesome!" 

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I just... I feel like you're trying too hard," Steve offers. I can't help but stop and pay attention now. I wait for the boys to catch up to me, then walk beside Steve. 

"Not everyone can have your perfect hair, Steve," Dustin complains. 

"It's not about the hair, man," Steve argues. 

"Really? You don't have any other redeeming qualities," I tease. 

Steve looks at me, unamused. "You shut," he speaks. I roll my eyes. "The key with girls is just... pretending you don't care," 

"Even if you do?" Dustin encourages. 

"Exactly, drives them nuts," 

"Hold on a damn second!" I say, throwing my hands up in the air. "Don't ruin my brother's love life before it's even started. What kind of stupid advice is that?" 

"Hey, I'm just telling him how I do it," Steve defends. 

"Oh, and how's that working out for you?" I say sarcastically. 

"Wait... so then what?" Dustin urges. 

"Oh my God, are you actually listening to him?" I scold. 

They ignore me. "You just wait until... you feel it," 

"Feel what?" 

"It's like it's before it's gonna storm, y'know? You can't see it, but you can feel it, like an electricity," Steve describes. My face flushes hot and pink. I take measures to make sure Steve doesn't catch a glimpse of it. 

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin says excitedly. 

"Woah, okay. I've heard enough of this," I announce, getting in between the boys. I separate them and begin to rewire all of the absolute garbage Steve has just spewed to Dustin. "Dusty, the key with girls, or people in general, is they aren't all the same," I start. "I might like something you don't, or enjoy something you hate," 

"You mean like the Footloose thing?" Dustin perks up. 

I nod. "Kind of like that, yeah," 

"The Footloose thing?" Steve parrots. 

"She's obsessed with that movie. I hate it," Dustin explains. 

"But he watches it with me anyway because he loves me. The same way I listen to his science ramblings when I have absolutely no interest whatsoever," 

"Hey!" 

"That's the thing about caring about someone, though. You do things not always because you enjoy them, but because you want to see the people you love smile. So, my advice for girls? Find out what they like. Get to know her. Then, see where it goes from there," 

"Sounds time-consuming," Dustin appoints. 

I nod. "Absolutely, but if she's worth it to you, you'll put in the effort," I tell my little brother. I look to Steve. "you are a horrible influence." 

Steve shrugs and chuckles. "Just whatever you do, don't fall in love with her," 

"Okay?" 

"She'll break your heart, and you're way too young for that shit."