xvii|the pollywog.

Start from the beginning

"You don't either!" I aver. 

"Quit bossing me around!" Dustin whines. "I'm not a little kid anymore," 

"I'm trying to protect you, Dustin! You have no idea what--" 

Glass shatters from Dustin's bedroom, making me shut my mouth quickly. Hissing, growling, and screeching follow. Dustin and I race into his bedroom to investigate. We find the turtle tank Dustin put Dart in shattered open, with the creature nowhere to be found. 

"Shit," Dustin vocalizes. 

"Kids, I'm home!" Mom announces from the front door. 

"Double shit," I add. "Find that thing, I'll distract mom." 

I leave the bedroom, closing the door behind me. I pace down the hall to greet her. "Hey, mom," 

"Hey, sweetie. Where's your brother?" she smiles, hanging her coat on a rack by the door. 

"Homework. He should be done soon," I lie. 

"What's he working on?" 

"Science project," 

She beams. "Our little genius," she gushes, moving past me and into the kitchen. 

I fake a smile, masking how terrified I am. I shadow her, watching from a distance as she begins boiling water for tea. "Oh, speaking of Dustin! The Snowball is coming up this December, I got a letter in the mail that they're looking for volunteer chaperones," 

"Okay...?" I mumble, unsure of what she's getting at. 

Mom gives me a grimacing smile, and I suddenly understand. 

"Oh, shit... do I have to?" 

"Language. And yes, I'd like you to keep an eye on Dusty. Make sure he doesn't get his itty-bitty heart broke," she chirps. 

"Dustin doesn't have a heart or a soul, mother," I joke. "besides, heartbreak is a part of growing up. Rite of passage, if you will," 

Mom opens a cinnamon and spice teabag, steeping it in a sunflower yellow mug full of piping hot water. "Come on Honey, do it for me, please?" she pouts, jutting her lower lip out. 

I groan, flailing my arms to the side theatrically. "Ugh, fine," 

"Mews? Mews? Where are you, buddy?" Dustin calls, frantically searching around the house. He approaches us in the kitchen. "Have you guys seen Mews? I think he got out," 

Mom gasps. "Oh, no! Our baby doesn't do well in the cold!" 

"Y/N and I will check around the house. Mom, could you check outside?" Dustin speaks up. 

Mom doesn't say another word, throwing her coat back on and hobbling outside. I look down at Dustin and fold my arms. 

"Where did you hide the cat?" 

My younger brother doesn't respond, instead, he grabs my wrist and forcefully drags me down the hallway. He practically shoves me into his bedroom, accompanied by me cursing him out for pushing me too hard. Dustin leads me to the corner of his room, pulling out a chair. 

Dart has doubled in size pretty much instantly, and he's eating something... 

I stare at the tufts of long white fur mixed with guts and fresh, bright red blood. 

"Oh my fucking God... is that...?" 

"...Mews," Dustin confirms solemnly. 

Dart looks up from his feast, right at me. The creature lets out a blood-curdling screech, its face opening up in a flower-like pattern.